Deep freeze kegerator on cheap question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikolausXX

Reaction score
To make a deep freeze a refridgerator, do you have to buy the thermostat and power plug thing for 75 bucks, or is there an easier way to get the temp higher? On a deepfreeze setup, can I run regular taps instead of those rise up ones that are about 100 bucks each? Planning on 40 dollar 15.5 cubic foot deepfreeze. hate to spend buckoo bucks to get the storage.

You can certainly use picnic/cobra taps and just open the lid of the freezer to dispense. The towers are nice, but not necessary.

As far I as know, you would need an external thermostat. I don't know how else you could keep a freezer at 40 degrees.

NikolausXX said:
"Beaucoup" is the word you wanted.

Test the freezer on its highest setting. If it maintains a temperature above freezing, you don't need an external thermostat.

I have no idea what you mean by "regular taps" vs "rise up taps." Chances are, you can use any tap that will connect to your kegs.

Im new to the kegerator. My neighbor has a regular refridgerator one, with a 16 gallon commercial keg in it. I planned on putting corny kegs in deep freeze, and hopefully have room for some bottles in there too. Havnt ironed out all the technical yet.

Chest freezers typically adjust between -10 and 20 degrees F on their own thermostat if they have one at all. You can find a cheaper analog controller on Ebay if you know what to look for at about 25 bucks.

Just a thought...something I have done and will definately work but certainly no equal to the ranco digital controller I have. Now that I have the disclaimer out of the way I'll spill the cheap, fast dirty and easy kegerator temp "control".

Plug the freezer into an outdoor appliance timer ( I bought one at walmart for like ten bucks). Set the timer to run the freezer for a short period of time (20 min ???) approx four times a day. This will chill your beer but you will have to fuss w/ the timer to achieve a temp. that you desire. Also, since it is a crude and non intuitive control it will vary depending on the load on the freezer. Meaning that if you load up the freezer w/ warm beer the timer does not recognize this and will not compensate.

I did this w/ a spare freezer and cold crashed/conditioned some kegged ales this way. I had a small 5 cf freezer and I figured the timer was capable w/ a capacity of 1875 watt rated load. Not sure if this will work for your 15 cf model, I would think it would but do your own research!!. Long and short do not overload the timer and damage something????

This all being said...you will probably be happier w/ a cheap analog controller like bobby suggested, but I figured I'd throw it out their in the event you had something like this "in stock"

Edit>>>At the risk of being a smartass...you could just plug the freezer in for an hour or so manually each day untill you achieve the temp. you like...but eventually you would probably end up w/ either frozen or warmish beer. This manual control method is certainly the cheapest but NOT a great long term solution.

Mike

+1 on the timer, for a super cheap option, that is. i was thinking something along the lines of one of those 15min interval timers with the click tabs on a dial. you can get 'em at any hardware/walmart store for $10-$15. set it to run 15min every 60-90 minutes and then use the thermostat in the freezer to control the temp. like wilserbrewer said, it's not able to recognize when you just put a bunch of warm beer in so it will take longer to cool new beer, but it will be cheap.

Good solutions, I think I will have the freezer next weekend. I might take in a load of scrap if the weather is nice. That should get me enough cash to buy the thermostat thing from my local supply shop for 70 bucks.
Has anyone made any homemade tap extenders for the top of the chest. I will put taps on side if I have to resort to paying 100 bucks each for the towers. Any pics or plans to point me in the right direction. I think this will be easier than I thought. Im not really out to impress, so would like to keep cost down. If you havnt noticed im a complete noob. Throwing lots of time, and little money into my new hobby! I already got 10gals made already. My best friend and neighbor has a working kegerator, and I checked it out today, looks pretty simple once you get all the odds and ends. He has lots of EXTRA parts laying around too.

careful now...in my experience 15 min every 60-90 minutes is a lot of run time. I don't recall the details but i nearly froze a keg (beercicle). 2nd warning, Listen up yall, this method is somewhat "ghetto" and takes some babysitting or bad things can happen.

Seniorwanderer...yes that is exactly the timer I'm referring to. It is an outdoor timer w/ a three prong grounded plug. Also, the thermostat in the freezer will be worthless while running on a timer!!

NikolausXX said:
That should get me enough cash to buy the thermostat thing from my local supply shop for 70 bucks.

If your trying to stay on the cheap go the ebay route for your thermostat. Its only around 40 for a digital one and less for the analog.

NikolausXX said:
To make a deep freeze a refridgerator, do you have to buy the thermostat and power plug thing for 75 bucks, or is there an easier way to get the temp higher? On a deepfreeze setup, can I run regular taps instead of those rise up ones that are about 100 bucks each? Planning on 40 dollar 15.5 cubic foot deepfreeze. hate to spend buckoo bucks to get the storage.
Yes you need a temp controller, but analog controllers are usually around $50.
You can run picnic taps, a tower on the lid or a wooden collar with shanks. Lots of options with a deep freeze. The picnic taps are by far the cheapest, the collar is easy, inexpensive and much nicer that the plastic taps, and the towers are of course expensive and not really needed with this type of setup.
Craig

For the temp. controller, check ebay. There are a couple for about $75 right now (with shipping). There was one that sold for maybe $45 or so used a week ago. I was thinking about bidding, but I haven't found a chest freezer, yet.

You can go with picnic taps with no problem. I would stay away from the tower tap setup and build a collar around the top (you can do this eventually) and drill into these for the tap shanks.

I personally like the chest freezer keg option as I already have 3 taps/shanks, the tubing, and of course the kegs. I figure I need a chest freezer (maybe $75 or so), temp controller (maybe $50 used to $75 new) and lumber for collar and silicone adhesive for maybe $25 or so depending on wood quality. Plus, I can probably transport the freezer in my minivan and get it in the basement easier than a fridge.

I wouldn't suggest cutting corners on a temp controller. Skimp on the faucets, run all the kegs at the same pressure, whatever. Temp control is pretty important in maintaining predictable carbonation levels and using any method that remains ignorant of the internal temperature is just going to be a problem.

You might think you found the perfect cycle but later find that was only perfect while the beer remained warm. All of a sudden it gets cold and the previous cycle starts going runaway on you and you freeze it all.

By the time you drop nearly $10 for an appliance timer, you're almost half way to an Ebay controller. If you can't afford a $30 controller, you probably don't want to get into kegging. CO2 refills will add up.

Here's one for $13 and looks to have the range for kegging. I'd just verify that it's a close on high (meant for cooling).
http://cgi.ebay.com/WHITE-RODGERS-R...ryZ50926QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ill probably buy the thermostat from local home brew shop for 75. Prob buy kegs from midwest, and piece the rest together. Thats my plan so far.

For my keezer, I swapped the stock thermostat for one from a fridge. I don't get a lot of range, probably due to where the thermostat is in the freezer, but I can adjust to about 35F.

I'm thinking of making a kezzer, and have a couple of questions...

1. Does it matter if the frezer is frostfree, auto-defrost, or manual-defroste? I would imagine not, since it will be staying above freezing.

2. Is there any problem with having a chest freezer in the house? Normally peeople have them in the garage, do they drip?

Thanks!!!

Plan9 said:
I'm thinking of making a kezzer, and have a couple of questions...

1. Does it matter if the frezer is frostfree, auto-defrost, or manual-defroste? I would imagine not, since it will be staying above freezing.

2. Is there any problem with having a chest freezer in the house? Normally peeople have them in the garage, do they drip?

Thanks!!!

1. I don't think chest freezers come in frostfree or autodefrost.

2. I've never actually seen a chest freezer outside. Everyone that I know keeps them in their house. If they're not frostfree, then they don't need a drip tray, so their should be no leaking.

Went to local small town grocery store, and the clerk gave me a 28 inch tall co2 canister for free :). Coming together quicker than I thought!

So, the luxpro device - this is basically a timer with a probe ?

Seems a step up from the $10 walmart timer ..

check the forum at micromatic.com there are quite a few guys that have added a resistor to the thermostat on freezers to get the unit to be in the right range. Most of them are trying to get the Home Depot Danby to work correctly. That crappy kegerator will never chill below 42 degrees even though the display says 36.

Either way a resistor for $1 and some soldering might fix you right up. Everybody has a dollar!!

Linc

I've been running my chest freezer on a timer. 1 hour a day (4-5) the hour before I get home from work :) I'm sure I'll get a real thermostat some time, but so far this is working for me, and cost me 0$.

Currently copper for an IC is a higher priority then a thermostat. I'm happy to entertain links to cheap ones though :)

Back