deep freeze chest and temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malkore

Reaction score
So I decided that a small chest type deep freeze might be the best way for me to keep 2-3 corny kegs cold and tap'd. I'm also thinking I might be able to fit a bucket or carboy inside (swapping out the cornies) to lager or just keep a mid-60's temp for ales in the hot summer months.

is a typical GE/Kenmore/big box store 5.5cu freezer gonna be enough? I'm gonna go look today, maybe buy if I can find the right one. I know chest freezers don't have a perfectly flat bottom due to the compressor 'shelf' on the one side. I measure'd 28" of height on my cornies including the ball-lock connector and hose-barb.

I know a 7.5cu isn't much more money or a much larger footprint so its an option too.

secondly: I know I need a different thermostat/temp controller so I don't freeze my beer.
I am not very electrically inclined, so something like this seems the most appealing: http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/kegerator-conversion-kits-pid-E26.html
good place to find it a little cheaper? and do I need to somehow disconnect the freezer's thermostat, or do you just set the freezer to its warmest and let that controller do the rest?

thanks in advance. this is the final step towards kegging!

*edit* ok already found a cheaper price on the controller and a post that answered my questions about no-wiring required.
http://www.beveragefactory.com/A19AAT-2C___9162.shtml

If you're scared to do any wiring, that one is your best bet since it has the cordset all made up. I've typically found similar controllers on Ebay without the cord for about 15 bucks plus shipping but you also have to be patient.

Well I ended up going to Sears and found a 7.2cu chest on sale, but had to have it ordered.
It'll hold 2 cornies arranged diagonally, with vertical headspace to spare for hoses.
Might be room for the CO2 tank down there too, which would potentially leave space for a case of beer on the left side.

I figure i'll run the temp probe in from the lid, so I don't have to worry about hitting any coils in the back wall.
Best of all the wife is cool with it!

Here's what you need. Very basic and it works great
E26.JPG

No wiring at all. Costs about $55 at Williams Brewing.

I was going to suggest the whirlpool 9.8cuft one too but I saw he already ordered one. I was thinking wow, two kegs in 7cuft..seems like a waste of space. I don't know what was paid or if the order can be cancelled.. but I would cancel it and get the whirlpool.

Any suggestions of a freezer that can hold 1 6 gallon carboy? I have limited space and I'd like to try lagering.

I might be able to fit 3 cornies...just not 100% yet.
I see why that whirlpool works so well...the compressor's different and doesn't take up the entire depth on one side, just that corner.

unfortunately I gotta work with the wife on this one. She really only wanted a 5.2cu footprint, but that looked like only a single corny would fit. So the 7 was a comprimise with the wifey.

long term, it can be re-delegated to deep freeze use in a few years when we get a different house.

Hopleaf, I'd say for sure a 7cu deepfreeze would be able to hold a bucket or carboy and be tall enough for an airlock or blowoff hose. If whirlpool makes a 5cu chest with the same 'corner' compresser, it might actually have the floorspace to hold a carboy too. smallest size I see on Lowe's is the 9cu for $268, but that doesn't mean a smaller size doesn't exist.

Ok, last question, I swear.

A collar is optional, right? I figured I needed about 28" in height for my corneys plus the ball lock connector and the hose coming out so it doesn't kink up. The freezer I ordered was like 30" deep, so I should be cool right?

And Bobby, those are some nice video's on YouTube.

Thanks Bobby.

I did ask the wife about maybe getting the whirlpool instead...no dice. 7.5cu is all I can hope for, for now at least.

Once I have it and the 3 cornies (thursday) I'll post a pic of how everything fits..maybe I can wedge all 3 kegs in there...measuring round things in a square space...not one of my strong points :)

If all goes well I'll probably collar it for ease of dispensing and to plumb CO2 from the exterior.

Just wanted to update this post to state that I could in fact fit 3 corny kegs, plus a 5lb CO2 cylinder inside this little 7.4cu freezer. I can put about a case of bottles on the compressor shelf/ledge, and still have room to use the basket to hold extra hops n' stuff.

guess i better get another batch of beer going.

Back