Decreasing brewing time by skipping grain steeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian DSouza

Reaction score
For all grain brewing, I saw many tutorials which steep the grains in water at less that 100C temperature for some time. They then separate out the liquid which is then boiled with some hops for some time again. Are there any disadvantages to directly boiling the grains (instead of steeping) with the hops to decrease the brewing time?

The steeping as you refer to it is to release sugars that the yeast can digest from the grains. The temp that those sachrides (simple sugars) are released are in the temp range of 142ºf to 158ºf 20 minutes at least. I like to do two rests, since my stove is doing the work. I take it to about 145 for 20 minutes then I creep it up to 152-155 for 20 minutes and then to 170 to Lock out the grain. Denatured I think they call it. The different temps release sugars that either become sweeter or stronger ABV. Beta and Alpha amylase http://homebrewtechniques.com/mashing/alpha-beta-amylase-essential-enyzmes-mashing/
Then Your Boil is about your Hops. You do not have to Boil hard, a Simmer is fine anything over 180ºf is good as that kills any bacteria(s) that may have been in the pot, attached to utensils, etc.

Let's not confuse steeping grains with mashing. Grains like Crystal, Chocolate, Roasted Barley (medium to dark grains) do not need to be mashed. You can steep them in warm water to extract, flavors and (in the case of Crystal/Carmel) sweetness. The temperature is not important, but temps above 170F will start to extract tannins from the grains. You would not want to boil your grains.

Mashing is a process to convert starches in grains into sugars. When mashing it is important to hold temps in a range where the enzymes responsible for this conversion are active...usually in the 148F to 156F range.

Thanks. What does locking out the grain mean?

Raising the grain temps to 170F is called a "mash out". There is debate about how helpful one is, but the idea is to 1) warm up the sugars so they can be extracted easier and 2) denature/kill the enzymes to lock in the fermentability profile set by your mash. A mash out is optional and most useful with a fly sparge process.

There is, for the record, a mash process called decoction where *portions* of your grains are boiled to raise the mash temp to particular temp steps.

However this does NOT shorten the brew day, and in most cases significantly lengthens it (typical all-grain brew day, 6hrs, my 4-decoction preferred Hefeweizen brewday takes almost 12 hrs).

Boiling grains will most importantly denature the enzymes needed to convert starches to sugars. It also can *potentially* be detrimental to flavor (tannins as indicated above) if pH gets out of whack (which is easy to correct but easy to have an issue as well).

Back