Decoction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerinBR

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any Electric Brewers out there doing decoction,if so how?

Building a new brew room and considering both electric/propane in the planning phase can do either. Need advice and input
Thanks

over night:
Thanks for the advice, since using propane in my basement just seems a little risky going to go electric. For decoction SWMBO suggested an electric hot plate ... can get for less than $100. Sweet...
Thanks to all

I do a lot of decoction mashes. I am also planning on going electric. I plan to use electric for heating strike and infusions, but still using propane for the decoction part. I just can't imagine having the grain in contact with a heating element. What a mess. Maybe you could set up some kind of double-boiler with electric, but that is way too complicated for me.

I can't do a decoction in my electric system- the element is at about the three gallon level for one thing, plus I wouldn't want grain in contact with the element anyway.

For decoctions, I use my kitchen stove since my brewery is in my laundry room. It's not too bad, but it's certainly not ideal!

If my system was outdoors, I'd probably have a small propane burner in it somewhere for decoctions.

Back