Decoction mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxR4fterm4nxx

Reaction score
I would like to do some Belgian style abbey ales. I've seen some recipes for doing this, but was wondering if there are some good sources of info out there for decoction mashing? I'm not sure if it's possible with a cooler style set up for batch/fly sparging. Any help would be great!

Here's some inspiration too :)

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393698036.780911.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1393698069.171661.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1393698097.905306.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You can definitely do decoction mashes with your setup, I do it with less. Check out braukaiser.com, there is a ton of info on decoctions there. For what you are doing it is also worth it to read Brew Like a Monk. Includes ferment schedules and mash temp rests for a lot of the Trappist and abbey beers.

I second brukaiser's website. I learned a lot there. I also recommend watching his video on Youtube. It's in several parts (sorry, but I don't have a link handy). It's helpful to actually watch someone doing it. It answers many of those nagging questions that inevitably begin with: "But, but, but ... "

I'd add that it's incredibly time consuming but very fun, if you're the sort of person who likes exploring traditional (and often overly complicated) processes. I do a triple decoction with my O-fest, and will continue to do so, even though I realize that it's not strictly necessary. It's part of the family tradition. Of course, it turns a 6-hour brew day into something closer to 12....

Here's a good video on Decoction Mashing

Last edited by a moderator:
Back