Decoction Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamsdealer

Reaction score
How important is it when brewing a lager? I recently made a pilsner and had hopes of performing a decoction mash, but got a late start and only made it through the first decoction. I probably would have stuck it out had I started earlier, but it was getting dark out and I was just returning the first decoction to the mash. Held it at 150 for an hour and proceeded as normal with my standard efficiency..

Depends what your definition of important is. Some styles are traditionally brewed with a decoction mash. Some are ales and some are lagers. Decoction is not lager-specific. If you want to make a beer that is 100% true to style then yes it's important. But you can add different malts to mimic a decoction mash if you want and probably only a small percentage of people could tell. If you want to make a great beer, then decoction is not important. Your pilsner will probably be great without the decoction; however, I would suggest doing one at some point just to see how it affects the finished beer and for the general experience with it.

Not sure if you'll notice a difference given the option of melanoidin malt. However, my efficiency goes from ~70% to ~90% when I do a decoction. Single, double, triple -- doesn't matter.

I think I would have much better efficiency than I did, but I underestimated the first decoction and ended up with a large mash vol with only a couple gallons to sparge. Reason being I needed to add more hot water touring the mash up to temp. I think next time I'll do my mash in the kettle, bring ing the entire mash up to 150 with the proper rests and transfer to the cooler pulling the rest of then decoctions from there.

I think I would have much better efficiency than I did, but I underestimated the first decoction and ended up with a large mash vol with only a couple gallons to sparge. Reason being I needed to add more hot water touring the mash up to temp. I think next time I'll do my mash in the kettle, bring ing the entire mash up to 150 with the proper rests and transfer to the cooler pulling the rest of then decoctions from there.

If you are doing a single decoction I find it easier to start with the batch split. I bring 60% of the grist up to 125F, the other 40% I bring to a boil and hold that for 10 min. When I add this 40% back to the mash the temp comes up to about 152F and I adjust to my rest temp and hold the remaining 40-50 min.

A decoction mash is also a type of mash in which the several mash temperatures are mostly achieved by removing part of the mash and boiling it in a simple vessel, and then mostly using it as infusion water to heat the remainder of the mash.

Back