Decoction mash or melanoidin malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gentlemans_Ale

Reaction score
I'm going to try my hand at brewing a helles. I like the distinctive malty taste but don't want to tack on several more hours to my brewday. I'm thinking that a lot of the flavor comes from melanoidins formed from decoction mashing. Would I be just as well off adding just a protein rest and adding some melanoidin malt to my grain bill?

JMO, but a melanoidin malt addition does not produce the same results as a decoction mash. If you are looking for a cheat, a number of homebrewers add a small percentage of Vienna malt to the bill to enhance the "maltiness" in a Helles. Myself, I'm doing the decoction.

Yeah, after some research, I don't think it would be a true Helles without the decoction and plain ol' pils malt.

Look up Schmitz Decoction, its very easy to do and only adds about an extra hour to my brew day.

I've tried Melanoiden and Aromatic in small amounts up to 5% and I don't think it's similar to a decocted brew with my system.

Look up Schmitz Decoction, its very easy to do and only adds about an extra hour to my brew day.

I've tried Melanoiden and Aromatic in small amounts up to 5% and I don't think it's similar to a decocted brew with my system.

Thanks

Back