Decoction for Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigweiser

Reaction score
There must be a million threads on different variations of how to successfully do a decoction mash...I suppose one more won't hurt. I want to brew a German hefeweizen and have heard that an acid rest helps to impart clove character to the aroma. Can anyone tell me as if speaking to a really smart first grader how to do a decoction mash and with the "right" number of steps to make a true German style hefeweizen? Thanks in advance!

Depends on your equipment. I use coolers and start with a really thick mash to leave room for enough water to raise The temp to where I need it. I use beersmith to calculate the steps.

I use 1/2 qt thick mash for every pound of grist. Decoction mash is easier to perform on a direct fired MLT, so to be safe, and make sure you have enough hot mash, make it 1 qt per lb of grist. As far as doing a decoction mash with a hefe, be sure not to boil it to long, as this will darken the wort, and bring out more of the sweeter side of the starch. So in conclusion I would:

-withdraw 1 qt of grist for every lb of grain.

-bring removed grain up to 150, do a rest for 20 min, then boil for 5 min.

-add back to main mash until desired temp is reached.

-add remaining mash to the main mash once temps are close to equal.

Hope this helps, PM me if you need more info.

I've got both a cooler system and a boilermaker with mash screen. Yea, I've got that program - so I take out specified volumes, boil it, mix with rest of mash after, rest for specified amount of time, decoct again specified amount, boil, mix again to reach new step, etc? What do I do if rest mash reaches desired temp and there is still boiled step infusion left to mix? Leave out until it cools to new rest temp and then add it?

Any other pertinent details? What's best schedule for a german hefe?

If you'll have some decoction mash left, you ought to let it cool down to main mash temperature ( that you've already reached ) and then add to your mash tun. After that you can go to another rest.

Back