Decline Of The "Homebrewing Lifestyle"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stylus1274

Reaction score
I stumbled onto the article listed below. And it got my brain (what's left) working a bit. So I thought I would bring it up in this forum and see what ya' chaps thought.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/taranu...d-heres-why-you-may-be-to-blame/#a292dbe51fd8

I myself brew beer because I enjoy it. I enjoy the smells, the process, the idea of creating something and later being rewarded for it. I basically do it for me.

The article makes a strong suggestion towards many brewers stopping this hobby because they can now buy 'craft beers' they couldn't buy before.

I thought we do this because we love it? Sure I can go to Publix and buy a 6 pack of Jai Alai but that takes away from the fun of me trying to make my own awesome beer.

What do you guys think? Are we losing brewers because we can easily buy great craft beer?

I enjoy it for the same reasons you do. But, at the same time, I have to admit that it seems to be more challenging for me to find time to brew with so many commercial options. When I was in Germany a few years ago, I either had to take a road trip, or I was drinking Pilsners or Weizen. Being a person who loves variety and stuck with a lack of options, I found myself MAKING time to brew far more frequently than I have since I returned to the US.

If someone got into homebrewing primarily to have access to beer styles they couldn't easily buy, then their motivation will continue to wane as long as the availability good craft beer continues to grow.

I don't think better availability of more styles and breweries will cause someone who enjoys the brewing hobby to abandon it. However, even avid hobbyists can have life get in the way, which can cause them to temporarily, or permanently leave the hobby.

Brew on :mug:

I've mentioned it before, but I see a lot of sellers on CL and OfferUp with basic homebrewing setups (and kits) and have to wonder if they just got discouraged that this hobby (obsession, craft, what have you) takes a lot more time and patience than they first thought. Drinkable beer in 14 days! Brew your own! Own your own craft brewery! And then they see the work, patience, and time that it actually takes and get discouraged before they reach out to someplace like here and find that it can be rewarding. Then again, I see a lot of homebrewers here that stick with it and learn. If someone loves beer, and has the wherewithal and desire to make their own, they will come. And stay.

I stumbled onto the article listed below. And it got my brain (what's left) working a bit. So I thought I would bring it up in this forum and see what ya' chaps thought.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/taranu...d-heres-why-you-may-be-to-blame/#a292dbe51fd8

I myself brew beer because I enjoy it. I enjoy the smells, the process, the idea of creating something and later being rewarded for it. I basically do it for me.

The article makes a strong suggestion towards many brewers stopping this hobby because they can now buy 'craft beers' they couldn't buy before.

I thought we do this because we love it? Sure I can go to Publix and buy a 6 pack of Jai Alai but that takes away from the fun of me trying to make my own awesome beer.

What do you guys think? Are we losing brewers because we can easily buy great craft beer?

Interesting article, thanks

sad but understandable. there are people who like handicrafts but are not very keen on making any themselves. the same can be applied here: some have to brew at home as long as they can't buy what they want, but as soon as they find something ready made that satisfies them they can give up the whole process. so it depends on what you do this for

Different people are differently motivated. An increase in commercial craft brew options may create a decreased interest in home brewing for some, but not others. You can buy just about just about anything ready-made today, but it hasn't stopped people from making those same things for themselves.

I began brewing because my wife gave me a kit for Christmas that I found clumsy / unnecessarily complex and became determined to improve upon it. I've developed an appreciation for home brewing in the process. I think it appeals to my inner mad scientist. Now I brew beer for many of the same reason I might cook or bake something: I want to posses the knowledge and skill to make something good, with my own two hands, and to be able to share it with other people--as well as enjoy it myself.

I suspect a large portion of "starter kits" are gifts.
Sometimes they'll "take", most times probably not...

Cheers!

My neighbor, son and son-in-law obtained Mr Beer kits through gifting and "it was on sale at Target". I did my best to tell them to follow the directions, exactly, and sanitize, sanitize, sanitize.

Sure enough, the usual results surfaced ... "it was okay, but tasted a little funky". Or, "It was cloudy and not very carbonated". I swear, Mr. Beer kits have probably done more to drive away potential home brewers.

I've switched over to all grain so my extract boil pots and set up will probably end up elsewhere in the family. Difference being I'll be there to give them the proper starting instructions.

I actually think the hobby is on the wane even here on HBT. I haven't (yet) done an in-depth analysis of the threads, but we're over halfway through 2017 and the "How many gallons brewed in 2017" thread has us sitting at about a quarter of our 2016 output, and 1/6th of our 2015 output.

This is a pretty serious drop. I don't have a sense for the demographics of these threads - whether they skew toward long-time or new brewers, whether they're biased toward old or new forum members - but the trend is so large it's almost got to affect new and old brewers alike.

Nobody should be panicking. It's likely the boom was a fad - which happen all the time - and now we're just returning to a true, sustainable level of interest. Hopefully the supply of good ingredients won't dry up. :(

I've mentioned it before, but I see a lot of sellers on CL and OfferUp with basic homebrewing setups (and kits) and have to wonder if they just got discouraged

Doesn't seem any different than when I got into home brewing in 2007. The guy I bought my carboys off of was getting out of it back then. It seems like there are fewer sellers of HB equipment on Craigslist now than there was in 2007, but I don't have data for that. Denver is a HB hotbed like Seattle so the market is similar.

My perception is that it seems more people homebrew now than ever. Bad business practices by the brick and mortar homebrew shops has resulted in fewer shops in my area, but the remaining ones are competitive with online retailers when all costs are considered.

My neighbor, son and son-in-law obtained Mr Beer kits through gifting and "it was on sale at Target". I did my best to tell them to follow the directions, exactly, and sanitize, sanitize, sanitize.

Sure enough, the usual results surfaced ... "it was okay, but tasted a little funky". Or, "It was cloudy and not very carbonated". I swear, Mr. Beer kits have probably done more to drive away potential home brewers.

I've switched over to all grain so my extract boil pots and set up will probably end up elsewhere in the family. Difference being I'll be there to give them the proper starting instructions.

Interesting. I started on Mr Beer and think the opposite. So much so I'm currently in the process of opening a brew supply store.

Here's the thing. If you can't even handle proper techniques with Mr. Beer then you dang sure can't handle all grain or extract kits.

These type of people are doomed to fail with beer making regardless of how they started.

I actually think the hobby is on the wane even here on HBT. I haven't (yet) done an in-depth analysis of the threads, but we're over halfway through 2017 and the "How many gallons brewed in 2017" thread has us sitting at about a quarter of our 2016 output, and 1/6th of our 2015 output.

This is a pretty serious drop. I don't have a sense for the demographics of these threads - whether they skew toward long-time or new brewers, whether they're biased toward old or new forum members - but the trend is so large it's almost got to affect new and old brewers alike.

Nobody should be panicking. It's likely the boom was a fad - which happen all the time - and now we're just returning to a true, sustainable level of interest. Hopefully the supply of good ingredients won't dry up. :(

Personally I've just been too lazy to post there, but I can assure you I'll have brewed my 200 gallons and not a drop more by New Year's Eve.

I couldn't get to the article because it blocks browsers that use Adblock. But from what I've gleaned reading through the thread...

One of the big reasons I've never seriously considered going pro (besides money) is because I figured that the market feels like it is near saturation. With that much good craft beer out there, and micro- and nano- breweries not taking off or even failing in some places, I feel like if a person wants to buy good beer, then he or she can.

So I can certainly believe that if a person's reason for making beer has been that they want good beer and there hasn't been a good source of good beer around until recently, that the person will probably cut back on the batches he or she makes. Not everyone who makes beer likes the process so much that they must keep going even if they can buy good craft beer.

And I don't think that there is anything wrong with that. Taste is subjective, we like what we like, no reason to argue about it. Not that we're having a heated debate here.

I got into brewing beer over 26 years ago because I can control my process and brew the styles I enjoy with ingredients I like. Sure times have changed and craft beer is now so readily available but most are thin, watery hop bombs selling for $12.00 and up per 6 six pack, count me out. I only drink what I brew, period. Why is my beer better? Because it is mine.

From what I gathered in the article, Forbes spends a majority of it referencing a decline in the number of small homebrew shops compared to years past, and use that as a metric to measure a declining homebrewing population... Which I think is inaccurate.

I don't think a decline in brick and mortar shops points to a decline in the number of homebrewers, or more homebrewers buying commercial craft beer, as much as it does with the increase in online shops. I get about half of my grain and most of my yeast from my LHBS and do enjoy supporting them, but if I can get stuff cheaper and delivered to my door in a couple of days, that's where my money goes.

I personally know a lot of people who got into it in 2012, as did I, but have dropped out. Most of them have quit because of kids and other stuff getting in the way.

Let's be honest - while it's rewarding and all that, it's really really time consuming. By the time I put together a recipe, go to the store or get all my ingredients, create a starter, brew it, clean, bottle, and clean - I probably have 13-15 hours in a batch. It's not easy by any means.

I continue to brew because I like my brew better than anything else I can buy at the store, and because I hate paying $10+++ for a 6-er. But my brew days come and go. I quit brewing for the summer halfway through May, and I won't get back into it until about October - there's just so much other stuff I'd rather be doing.

I have a couple concerns regarding conclusions made by the author of that article. He attributes the loss of LHBS stores and profits to craft beer. I would put that to online ordering and lack of patience of the average person. I don't have any numbers but I see new to homebrewing posts almost every day here on HBT. It also looks at a decline in homebrew stores from 820 to 808. That is a pretty insignificant decline. 12 stores? Poorly run stores? My area lost one and gained 2 since I started brewing.

One professional brewer stated that she didn't homebrew because of the mess and that commercial beers were better. I disagree. Some are better. But I like my homebrews more than most $10-$14 sixpacks that I usually buy.

I homebrew because I like the creativity, process and that I can brew a six pack for less than $10.

Another post said the decline in "how many gallons beer brewed in 2017 compared to previous years. Does that mean that less beer is being brewed or is it just that fewer people are posting. In 2012 I put in some of my gallons, but haven't since.

I am looking for a move so I have been doing house renovation this year. When I get settled I expect a large increase in my brewing.

This article missed a huge point. The growth of online HB ingredient and equipment sales. They need to look at this aspect, I don't think it's fair to say HB is on the decline.. I think the traditional outlets of LHBS' are on the out.

It's kinda like what is happening with Amazon in big cities. They are expanding into the food stuffs market, offering one hour delivery and two day shipping on anything else. Why would anyone go to Toys'R'Us anymore to pick out a gift when you could be eating a steak in your underwear drinking a HB and ordering what you need online?

To my belief there is the new generation of HB'ers, me included, who are in the age range of 30+ to 23 who are looking to produce professional results and are interested in the science behind the brewing. The water chemistry, microbiology including the yeast propagation and enzymatic reactions which take place throughout. It geeks me out and is fun and I think I've spent a fair share of money for the bling to do what I want. Maybe production is on the decline but I think the quality is increasing

I brew beer styles that I can't buy, mostly.

But I still need to go hit the local/new micros and beer bars with all the commercial taps just to see what people are doing.

I don't brew browns much anymore. There are three really good local ones. A new brewery is making a really good mosaic citra neipa. I get some good old school lagers too.

Good mixed fermentation sours are way too expensive...byo!

It's kinda like what is happening with Amazon in big cities. They are expanding into the food stuffs market, offering one hour delivery and two day shipping on anything else. Why would anyone go to Toys'R'Us anymore to pick out a gift when you could be eating a steak in your underwear drinking a HB and ordering what you need online?

This is too funny (and true). The last time I brewed I ordered my groceries for home delivery. I used what would have been grocery shopping time to mash.

I homebrew because I like the process. I try to keep my kegs full but will only brew when I have the time to enjoy it and it not be a chore. I like being able to pull a pint off the tap and not pour from a bottle. I also like building my own equipment like a rolling cart for the fermenter. This and actual brewing gives me a sense of accomplishment because there is an actual end result. Not many other hobbies give you a product that you can enjoy or share with regular* people.

*You don't have to be a brewer or beer enthusiast to enjoy growler of homebrew with friends.

I got into homebrewing because of the vast majority of craft breweries in my area. I wanted to know how they were made and find a way to maybe make something better. Now it has become an addiction. I brew every 2 weeks on average and am constantly challenging myself to do something different with each brew. Which right now is making classic styles as accurately as possible.

Friends and family tend to love what I make and I have gotten to the point that the only time that I buy beer from somewhere else is if it is a style i don't often get exposed to or if I plan on making something similar and want to taste an example.

I got into homebrewing mainly for two reasons, cost of commercial craft beer and to have what I want when I want it.

Time can be prohibitive, but if you have your process down I don't think it's that bad. I tend to do other things while I'm brewing, mow the lawn, wash the cars, make dinner, etc, so it's not as if I am using dedicated time for it. The exception is bottling, which 4.5 yrs into the hobby I still do, but I usually try to knock that out on Sat/Sun mornings before the family really gets moving.

This year I tried Nugget Nectar for the first time and it became in instant favorite, two issues with this, it's seasonal and at $13 for a 6'er it can add up. Without buying in bulk I can make 5 gals of what is extremely close to the real NN for about $43, a case typically goes for around $50 so it's less than half the cost. A couple local breweries make some good IPA's, they sell for $16-$18 per 4-pack (16oz) cans, almost all of these are one time brews, I can make something that I typically like more for a lot less...

I think the article is very "one dimensional" in what they're looking at. As for the "How many gallons thread," I would bet some don't know it even exists and some just don't post in it, I know I did for a year or two and then stopped...

Here's the other thing to consider. We can all sit around and talk about how there isn't a decline, the article's metrics are off, and yadda yadda yadda. But are we really the right people to ask? After all, we are the people who are active on a site like HBT, participating in clubs, entering competitions, etc.

From what I gathered in the article, Forbes spends a majority of it referencing a decline in the number of small homebrew shops compared to years past, and use that as a metric to measure a declining homebrewing population... Which I think is inaccurate.

I don't think a decline in brick and mortar shops points to a decline in the number of homebrewers, or more homebrewers buying commercial craft beer, as much as it does with the increase in online shops. I get about half of my grain and most of my yeast from my LHBS and do enjoy supporting them, but if I can get stuff cheaper and delivered to my door in a couple of days, that's where my money goes.

I agree as according to the rationale proposed in this article, the reason brick and mortor chains like kmart, Sears, Macys, and JC Pennys are closing stores is because people are not buying the things they sell. Sounds legit.

I agree as according to the rationale proposed in this article, the reason brick and mortor chains like kmart, Sears, Macys, and JC Pennys are closing stores is because people are not buying the things they sell, from them. Sounds legit.

ftfy.

Brew on :mug:

More data, make of it what you will. In 2012 the American Homebrewers Association passed the 30,000 member mark. In 2017 there are 46,000 members. That to me would be an indication of increasing interest in the hobby.

This article missed a huge point. The growth of online HB ingredient and equipment sales. They need to look at this aspect, I don't think it's fair to say HB is on the decline.. I think the traditional outlets of LHBS' are on the out.

I think you are dead on. Brick and mortar is getting slaughtered by online retail. Look at AB InBev purchasing NB. The majority of NBs receipts are online sales and AB wouldn't purchase them if projections weren't anything but good.

I think you are dead on. Brick and mortar is getting slaughtered by online retail. Look at AB InBev purchasing NB. The majority of NBs receipts are online sales and AB wouldn't purchase them if projections weren't anything but good.

Online is only one aspect. The real problem is stores not carrying what people want, lack of inventory and bad service. Online has a hard time competing if a local store has their bases covered. Friendly & knowledgeable. Good selection. Price competitive. I wish I had a homebrew shop.

Online is only one aspect. The real problem is stores not carrying what people want, lack of inventory and bad service. Online has a hard time competing if a local store has their bases covered. Friendly & knowledgeable. Good selection. Price competitive. I wish I had a homebrew shop.

^^^ Exactly this. Online is only one part.

Believe it or not you can also compete with online sales. If you have a brick and mortar shop you better also sell online. You just need a well thought out plan and strong marketing. There is plenty of cash flow to go around.

Even though online sales are strong there are plenty of brewers who like to roll into a shop, shoot the stuff, mill their own grains and generally enjoy a LHBS visit.

Believe it or not you can also compete with online sales. If you have a brick and mortar shop you better also sell online. You just need a well thought out plan and strong marketing. There is plenty of cash flow to go around.

Even though online sales are strong there are plenty of brewers who like to roll into a shop, shoot the stuff, mill their own grains and generally enjoy a LHBS visit.

Back when Amazon just sold books, Jeff Bezos said that there was still a market for book stores. Sometimes you want the book that day, sometimes you want to browse or just sit in a book store. Personally I like to go to my LHBS, measure out my grains and talk brewing with a person. I also like being able to get what I want the day before brewing and not plan on shipping time, etc. As long as the prices are reasonable I will go to the LHBS before going online for my needs.

I don't know. Maybe a beer store isn't the right place to sell brewing ingredients. Like a bakery selling flour.

$20 a six pack for craft beer versus $30 for an 11 gallon batch... and I am not stuck with what is carried in my rural boondocks where Budweiser is considered high end beer...

Usually, the beers that are $20 a six pack are not the beers that can be made for $30/11 gallon. Not saying that you can't make an 11 gal. batch of beer for $30. A $20 6 pack around me is going to be something with either a ton of hops $$ or oak aged, or something. This usually makes it more expensive to brew, regardless of whether it's homebrew or craft.

I don't know. Maybe a beer store isn't the right place to sell brewing ingredients. Like a bakery selling flour.

I have seen several successful growler shops (Hops and Growlers near me) and beer stores (several Hop City locations) which sell craft beer and also homebrewing supplies and equipment.

I'm 30 minutes away from AIH, yet when I order online for store pickup from them, it takes 48-72 hours for the order to be ready. I can order from morebeer.com and it's here the next day. The last online order I placed from them I ordered on a Thursday, and I didn't get it until the following Wednesday. I want to support them, but I just can't get how they lag in their order processing department. Perhaps amazon has spoiled me.

That said, I just went over to Kuhnhenn brewery today, grabbed a growler and some supplies at the HBS across the parking lot. Both owned by them. I also received a 60# package from morebeer with ingredients for the weekend brew. Last time I was a Kuhnhenn they had nothing I wanted, yet they gave me a token for a free drink at the taphouse, a good plus for being a brewhouse that has a HBS.

When I started brewing 25 years ago, craft beer choices were non-existent and imports were hard to find and expensive.

I was looking for an alternative to domestic swill and that motivated me to brew.

Now those original motivations no longer exist. I am now motivated to learn how to improve my technique and duplicate the styles I love.

Building and modifying brewing gear is also a strong motivator for me to keep on brewing.

Now I brew beer for many of the same reason I might cook or bake something: I want to posses the knowledge and skill to make something good, with my own two hands, and to be able to share it with other people--as well as enjoy it myself.

^^^100% this.

I would suggest that any drop in homebrewing could likely be a result of the economy doing well. When the economy is poor, and people perceive a lack of income, they tend to build/make/grow/create more things for themselves. The economy is certainly in pretty good shape right now, so it's possible that fewer people are joining the hobby for those reasons.

Hoho!

First post. I´m an aspiring homebrewer from Germany. Just startet christmas last year.

Over here "craft beer" doesn´t canibalize homebrewing. Beer prices are just very different. For a halfway decent Pilsener you pay about 1 € 0,5l/pint and for craft beer it´s an average of 4 € for 0,5l/pint ! (grocery store prices)

When I brew I can make simple hopped beer at 12° Plato for about 0,80 €/pint. Hoppy beers like an IPA cost me 1,30 €/pint. Just raw materials, no work calculated. But it´s a hobby so that´s ok.

So when I buy an IPA it costs me 3 times more than a homebrewed version and if it´s imported from the US in a bottle it´s 100% skunked.

Back