Decision time - which carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

LarryC

Reaction score
I posted this question a week or so back but probably didn't word it right and the responses didn't help much so I'll try it a different way. I have a 6 1/2 g carboy and a 5 g carboy. I am going to brew my Sinistral Warrior IPA this weekend and will be brewing a holiday recipe next weekend. Both beers will stay in their primary container until bottling time.

Which one should go in the larger carboy? I figure the IPA will be pretty active and I don't want to loose a drop of the hoppy goodness. However I have heard that beers made with fruit really get wild during primary fermentation.

I have a blow off tube so I can control things but I'm looking to the experts here for the best way to go. Thanks!

dontman

Reaction score
Usually fruit beers need to be racked to get separated from the fruit. Do you have a fermenting bucket? If so I would primary one of the two in that and leave the 5 G for the racked fruit beer.

OP
LarryC

LarryC

Reaction score
If I time my brewing right I can move the fruited brew into the carboy from the IPA after I bottle it. If not, I may need to do as you suggested & buy a bucket.

Latest posts