Decent deal for kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose the question is whether or not his fitting are what you need. Most of the kegerators people around here sell are designed for sankey fittings. If you are not using those then you'll need to buy the appropriate fittings (more money).

Second question is how old is the refrigerator and do you feel like buying an older less efficient appliance that might cost more in the long run to operate.

I think you could probably go cheaper if you kept looking for the refrigeration separate, but it's not a TERRIBLE deal by any means. I opted for a chest freezer and a collar and could not be happier right now. Sure the chest freezer was $180 but it's more efficient than a lot of the ones I had been seeing.

Finally, you never know when the compressor will go on an old fridge. I originally bought a chest freezer off craigslist and it worked for 4 months then died. Sucked.

Well you get the deposit for the keg and a co2 bottle, which aren't quite worth $175 so it depends on whether you can use the fridge.

If the fridge works but isn't quite what you want for a kegerator, you could use the fridge for fermentation and buy something else for serving and you still have c02, regulator and the deposit for the keg.

The half barrel tower kegerators come up on KC craigslist fairly regularly if you would rather have something like that.

Go to his house, in person, and check it out. Don't bring any more cash then you are willing to shell out. If everything looks good, offer him $100. Make sure to mention that you can't use the fittings, etc.

It's an a$$hole move, but people are much more likely to compromise on their price when you are there with cash in hand. Most of the time, they just want to get rid of it and make a few bucks. He will probably counter with $150, so offer $140.

It takes a bit of courage, but I used to work in sales. :)

If the fridge sucks, resell it for $75 or something.

I have done this on Craigslist many times. People tend to want to sell a bunch of items for X amount of money. Act interested, show up in person and lowball the hell out of them. Chances are you can get a 30% discount, then resell the items you don't need, individually, and you can pocket the stuff you wanted for next to nothing in the longrun.

Back