Decapitated Mt. Hood!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberbackpacker

Reaction score
I was walking home from work last night and as I got close to the house I saw my wife weed-whacking. No sooner do I step into the yard, she stops the weed-whacker, looks down, looks at me, and says "don't look"!

She decapitated my one and only shoot of mt. hood I had growing from my first year rhizome! The worst part was it has been one of my best growers (about 8") and I was just going to start training it onto the twine. Plus, she whacked it like 1" above ground. I could not believe it! ARGHH!!!!

Sorry, had to vent.

:tank:

It won't hurt that much. First year and only 8", it is doubtful yo wold get a first year harvest worth having. The first year is all about growing a good root system. Give her an hug, be understanding, and get lucky tonight. A littlttle bit of understanding gets a lot of good sex....Just don't tell her it was not that important. ;)

I agree, it should send up another shoot, especially if it had thrived to the point that it was 8 inches long, the rhizome has already gotten quite a bit of energy from that bine.

...and the Gnome is right, use it as leverage. ;)

That's why I do all the yard work :)

A buddy of mine knocked the top of his off and it grew 2 side bines...

As previously stated, first year is about root development. I wouldn't even bother with a trellis or training them up twine. For my first year I just put a tomato cage over each plant and let them grow up that (I use concrete welded wire mesh to make my cages that are 5 feet tall). Just let it grow as many bines as possible and keep them trimmed to about 4 or 5 feet long. You'll have a nice, leafy hop bush by the end of the season and keeping the growth focused on the roots instead of the bines will make your second year that much more productive.

I was walking home from work last night and as I got close to the house I saw my wife weed-whacking. No sooner do I step into the yard, she stops the weed-whacker, looks down, looks at me, and says "don't look"!

She decapitated my one and only shoot of mt. hood I had growing from my first year rhizome! The worst part was it has been one of my best growers (about 8") and I was just going to start training it onto the twine. Plus, she whacked it like 1" above ground. I could not believe it! ARGHH!!!!

Sorry, had to vent.

:tank:

alright what did you do before hand that would make her do that ? Had to be somthin ..... Premeditated decapitation.

Thanks guys... I know first year is about root development, and I know once it got "snipped" it won't go vertical any more... hence my frustration.

As far as premeditation... she has been giving me crap asking if I am going to check on my "babies" when I go out each day to see them... maybe it was triggered from her subconscious!

Oh well... I will let mother nature take its course; that is all I really can do.

Back