Decanting starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
So, do most of you do this? And if so, what do you do with the beer? I feel so wasteful just dumping it down the drain, but it's not especially tasty...

A 1L starter I'll pitch at 18-24 hours and pitch the whole thing into the wort. When I make a 2L or larger starter, however, I let it ferment all the way out, cool it in the fridge for a day or two, and decant the starter wort.

How I do it depends on several factors:
  • How much time I have before brew day
  • How much yeast I need
  • How delicate the flavor of the beer will be

So for a light bodied, clean lager I'll do a big starter several days in advance and pitch only the yeast. For most ales I'll make a smaller starter the night before and pitch the whole thing.

Chad

I don't make less than 1.5L starters so I always decant the liquid. I just pour it down the drain. It doesn't taste great so I don't want it in my beer and I don't really want to drink it.

I remember Chris White from White labs saying on the Brewingnetwork 2000ml or under you can pitch the whole thing. I have done this before and have not noticed any off flavores but my regular routine is the same as Chads.

Back