Decant carboy to take gravity sample?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomaso

Reaction score
Hi,

I just brewed a batch of brown ale two days ago and I still don't have a wine thief or refractometer. Working on getting one but in the meantime, can I just decant the carboy to pour a sample into a sanitized receptacle and after measuring just pour it back?

Thanks for any advice!

I think most people would recommend against pouring your gravity sample back. Just an unnecessary contamination risk. And in general, decanting the carboy seems like a bad idea (possibility of spillage, dropping it, etc.).

I'm assuming you haven't pitched your yeast yet?

Absolutely, do NOT pour gravity samples out of your carboy - seems like a very likely way to introduce oxygen to you beer, plus any other number of things that could go wrong. Get a wine thief type device or turkey baster (and sanitize well) in order to get samples.
Also, if you brewed this 2 days ago, there is ZERO reason to worry about getting a sample for at least a week. I would not do a single thing with that beer (other than watch the temperature it is at) for a minimum of 10-14 days. At that point you can worry about gravity samples, bottling, etc.

***Edit - and absolutely DO NOT put the sample back in the fermenter - infection.

Do you have a turkey baster that can be cleaned up and sanitized? If the wort surface is within reach they are a fairly good substitute for a wine/beer thief.

Purchase a hydrometer? Hydrometers are more accurate than a refractometer when alcohol is present in the sample. Refractometers are a great tool before fermentation when doing all grain recipes.

Hydrometer samples are for tasting. No need to increase the risk of infection by pouring the sample back.

Thanks for all of your advice. I don't have a turkey baster. Seems much harder to come across here in Spain... Trying to get a wine thief but also not easy here.... might have to wait for my next batch....

Also, if you brewed this 2 days ago, there is ZERO reason to worry about getting a sample for at least a week. I would not do a single thing with that beer (other than watch the temperature it is at) for a minimum of 10-14 days. At that point you can worry about gravity samples, bottling, etc.

About that: I thought that it was advised to check your gravity every two days or so, especially in the beginning phase to monitor the progress of fermentation...? If not, then when and how often should one check?

And btw, I did have a problem with a sudden heat swing to 34C which is why I would like to check how fermentation is proceeding....

The yeast will finish the fermentation without being watched. I take my first hydrometer reading at two weeks if the krausen has fallen and the beer is starting to clear. I'll take another reading a few days later. If they are the same Final Gravity has been reached.

I'll bottle at about week three when the beer has cleared. Dark beers I may bottle shortly after FG has been measured.

34°C is quite warm for an ale yeast. The wort for most ale yeasts should be about 18° to 21°C. Fermentation produces some heat. The wort will be warmer than the ambient temperature during the first few days of active fermentation.

About that: I thought that it was advised to check your gravity every two days or so, especially in the beginning phase to monitor the progress of fermentation...? If not, then when and how often should one check?

And btw, I did have a problem with a sudden heat swing to 34C which is why I would like to check how fermentation is proceeding....

At this stage, you should be able to monitor progress just by looking at the activity in your carboy or the airlock bubbles. Can you tell visually if there's anything going on in there?

Other than taking the original gravity at the very beginning, there's no reason to check the gravity until fermentation has finished. The "every two days" or "three days in a row" thing is to make sure that the gravity has stabilized so that you know fermentation is done (probably 1-2 weeks for most beers).

I personally don't use a secondary and just leave my beer in primary for 3-4 weeks. I only take two gravities: OG on brew day and FG on bottling day. Fermentation has surely finished by then.

Do you have an auto siphon? I'm sure you can draw a sample from the middle of the beer with that...

If you don't want to take many readings, and you shouldn't, wait at least a week after ALL observable activity has stopped. Lacking a thief or turkey baster just use a length of the widest tubing you have that can fit into the carboy, dip it into the the beer, block the end tightly and lift out, placing the end into your hydrometer flask. When you release the top, the beer will run out. Repeat as necessary to get your sample. Wait 3 days and repeat. If your gravity is the same you're set to bottle/keg...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just doubling on here, WAIT to take samples. There is nothing to be gained by taking samples this early in fermentation.

Curiosity killed the cat!

Well, guess then I'll just wait my usual two weeks, then take a sample and hopefully bottle. Not sure if I'll take another sample since I only have two 3,5l carboys and it would take ages to take a sample by holding my thumb on a plastic tube and to waste a sample or two on such a small batch hurts :(

Anyway, will heed your advice and hope for the best!
Thanks guys

Back