Dear Alabama, <sigh>

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardedBrews

Reaction score
Imagine living in a state where a reasonably active brew shed is considered " definitely one of the biggest operations we’ve seen in our county and possibly our state".

https://nypost.com/2020/12/18/illegal-winery-discovered-at-alabama-sewage-plant/
I feel like I've seen kits that size on Craigslist with titles like "haven't brewed in a while, hoping someone else can use it".

Mostly it's a good reminder to me that the home brew legislation still varies wildly by state. After a few years in the PNW it's easy to forget that every dad-bod with a beard doesn't also have a 10 gallon system in their garage :D

So wait, there are no wineries in Alabama? Or this was just an illegal operation and making wine is, in fact, legal in the state?

Either way, that's gross. But I'm sure the room that the wine was made in doesn't smell like sh*t or doesn't risk infection. But what do I know, it's Alabama...

So wait, there are no wineries in Alabama?

Regulated wineries/breweries are fine, but they only legalized home brewing in 2013. Even still they heavily restrict it: Some counties still remain "dry", you can only brew 15 gallons per quarter and no more than 15 gallons on hand at a time, and you generally aren't allowed to take it outside of your house.

The sewage plant thing is mostly click-bait. Most commercial wastewater treatment plants are as clean inside as a commercial bottling facility. I have no doubt they could have maintained a clean brewhouse there.

To me, characterizing a 1.5bbl wine setup as the largest illegal winery in the state is both sad and a bit funny.

Also I just realized I'm not the only one to Sigh at Alabama!! Credit to @CGVT for the original thread title.

Alabama...**sigh**

I am in Alabama. We were one of the last two states in the country to legalize making beer at home. There is a limit on how much beer and wine you can make per year, 200 gallons?

I wonder if that illegal winery was just a few guys pooling resources to make their wine. It does appear to be a lot of wine for just one or two fellows. But not nearly enough to make any real money selling it.

I have seen exactly the same kind of write up and photos when some pot guys were busted and their guns were photographed. I would look at the guns, some of them almost museum pieces, which were evidence of the vicious character of the pot growers, and think: "I have more than that."

When I was a kid in the 1960s, my Dad took my hunting in Whiskey Still Branch. We could still examine the old copper lined barrels of the whiskey makers. The barrels had lots and lots of axe punctures from when the revenuers smashed the still. I wonder if the carboys will meet the same fate.

There is a limit on how much beer and wine you can make per year, 200 gallons?
We're not allowed to brew more than 15 gallons per calendar quarter, can't have more than 15 gallons on hand at any one time, and it's not allowed to leave the premises on which it was brewed, except for an ABC-sanctioned competition. Alabama still has a long way to go, homebrew-wise.

Alabama still has a long way to go, homebrew-wise.
I suppose that plenty of folks would think that my little brewery is illegal. I wonder how the local LEOs would respond to a report that an old geezer is brewing beer in his garage. It might be like Reefer Madness, with axes chopping open the garage to get to the evil homebrew.

I am still puzzled by the quantity those fellows were making. Too much for personal consumption, but not much if it was a business. Anyway, now that those bud guys have been caught, no doubt Rainsville will be a better place!

I wonder if that illegal winery was just a few guys pooling resources to make their wine. It does appear to be a lot of wine for just one or two fellows. But not nearly enough to make any real money selling it.
|That's what I was thinking when I saw this article - probably just a few guys getting together. I wonder if the illegal part was because it was on "public" property.
Even if they had this identical rig in someone's basement, it wouldn't attract attention unless they were trying to sell it (the wine.)

That happened about 8-10 miles from where I live.
The municipality of Rainsville just went wet in November.
Really? I'm going to guess this setup has been in use MUCH longer than that...
And that's the reasons why it was set up in the first place.
When will prohibitionists (of anything...) realize that legally banning something doesn't really do much to stop it.

The municipality of Rainsville just went wet in November.
Just sounds so naughty LOL ... I remember when it was a big deal in 2013 that it was allowed. I bet the sheriff and mayor fell proud of the bust. Only thing is...if you do it in a county/city own building you're on your own

Now you know why some southern states vote red federally but are blue controlled locally.

i just can't wait till this is a thing!

1608582220493.png

My dad brings up Alabama being a dry state when his dad was stationed there in the Army and how they'd drive to Florida to get stuff. Dawned on me a couple of years ago that these were all high school stories because he left and joined the Navy as soon as he graduated......

Welcome to Hellabama.
Unfortunately, in four states I have had the experience of getting a motel room and then going over to a service station for a six pack and discovering that I was in a dry county or town. I still remember the instruction I got for finding beer in Arkansas. "Just drive down the highway for sixteen miles: then turn right on Possum Road for four miles: then take a left on Deliverance Lane for two miles" ... more or less. That was one of the few times I just gave up! In Texas I had to drive further but it was just on one road: if it had not been for the tornado warnings scaring my wife that one was no problem. Here in Hellabama I know to keep a sixpack in the back!

Growing up in south Mississippi it was so funny watching the baby steps local and state government would make. We had a Beer Barn (literally a big red barn you could drive through the middle of and ask for beer and they would bring it to your car all nice and cold), but drive 3 blocks to the gas station and all alcohol was warm because they didn't want you drinking and driving.

We're not allowed to brew more than 15 gallons per calendar quarter, can't have more than 15 gallons on hand at any one time, and it's not allowed to leave the premises on which it was brewed, except for an ABC-sanctioned competition. Alabama still has a long way to go, homebrew-wise.
So...no kind of homebrew clubs that can have meetings and share beers? That does sound ridiculous.

Far as 15 gallons a quarter, whether it’s that or 200 gallons a year - who is checking? I’ve never heard of revnooers knocking on doors and checking for homebrew. Anywhere. Law enforcement has much bigger fish to fry. Aside from being de-funded and all...

It looks like these guys were doing something “at work” they weren’t supposed to be doing and probably were ratted out by one of their fellow employees. Not too smart. Another question is were they doing this “on the clock” instead of doing their jobs? I know I wouldn’t be making beer or wine in my workplace and not expect to get caught and fired. The supervisor here should definitely be fired - because they were either part of it or too stupid to see this going on under their nose.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back