Dealing with cold-break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerBill

Reaction score
I've just started using a counterflow wort chiller, and was wondering how to deal with the cold-break going into the fermenter. I think I don't want it to...am I correct?

I use a converted keg for my HLT and kettle. I also have a spare converted keg. I move the wort around with a March pump. My fermenter is a plastic conical Mini-brew. I don't own a hop back.

Some of my thoughts were, screw it; let the cold break settle in the fermenter and drain through the dump port; whirlpool the cooled wort in the spare "keggle" then transfer to the fermenter; did I say screw it.

Thanks in advance.

I've whirlpooled and siphoned from the outside edge of the kettle, as well as just dumped it all in; zero difference in final product as far as I'm concerned.

The only difference is if I've made something incredibly hoppy- then I try to leave as much kettle sludge behind as I can.

Also, any thoughts about pumping my hot wort through the CFC and back into my brew kettle via my whirl-pooling rig, (basically a long copper L, that causes the wort to whirlpool), recirculating till the whole batch is cool, then draining into the fermenter using the kettle valve.

Why not pump your cool wort to the fermenter? Why use the valve?

To answer your question directly, that's what I already do.

I guess I wasn't very clear with my Rube Goldgerg thinking. What I'm really trying to figure out is a way for the cold break to NOT end up in my fermenter. Ultimately, I'm trying to get a clearer beer, (I know, I know).

BTW, how much cold break is there in a typical five to six gallon kettle volume? How do the "Big Boys" deal with it?

Back