Deal on groupon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$120 dollars for 1 kit, an online brewing class, and a $20 gift certificate... hmmm. I could buy 2 sacks of 2 row and 15lbs of specialty grain at the lhbs. Think I'll pass on this one.

1fast4door said:
$120 dollars for 1 kit, an online brewing class, and a $20 gift certificate... hmmm. I could buy 2 sacks of 2 row and 15lbs of specialty grain at the lhbs. Think I'll pass on this one.

Sounds like you have no need for a kit.

$59 for $120 toward beer recipe kits and online intermediate brewing classes, plus a $20 gift certificate for future purchases
$93 for $188 toward brewing equipment kits, beer recipe kits, and online intermediate brewing classes, plus a $20 gift certificate for future purchases

justin2001fox said:
$59 for $120 toward beer recipe kits and online intermediate brewing classes, plus a $20 gift certificate for future purchases
$93 for $188 toward brewing equipment kits, beer recipe kits, and online intermediate brewing classes, plus a $20 gift certificate for future purchases

Yep, I'm an idiot. Wife just showed me how groupon works. The link to the deal details. Not bad of a deal for $59. "I would like my previous statement stricken from the record your honor", lol.

If you look at the specific options to pick from it makes it sound like you only get 1 kit... maybe I'm confused? The kits don't list ingredients and seem a little pricey too. Hopefully I'm wrong?

That's how I read it as well. $59 gets one recipe kit, one online class and a $20 gift cert. $88 gets one equipment kit, one recipe kit, online class and $20 gift cert. anyone see something I'm missing!

No it's 59 dollars gets you what is essentially a 120 gift certificate valid ONLY on select kits. There are about 8 to choose from, seems like a decent selection.

Kits there retail for about 50. So with this Groupon you're essentially getting 3 kits for $90 (60 for the 120 credit + 30 for the difference on the third kit). You can then use another $20 gift card on anything, but should you use it on a kit you're now getting 4 kits total for $120.

That's 4 kits for $30 each, which isn't a bad price at all if you like the styles being offered.

I don't know details on equipment kits, but I do know they come with ingredients as well, the same selection of kits available to the cheaper Groupon.

The non-mobile version explains this a little better, as does their website

I think the "Online Class" counts against your $120, and the way I read it you don't have the option of not signing up for the class. Without a detailed ingredient list, those kits are way too expensive I think.

ouits said:
I think the "Online Class" counts against your $120, and the way I read it you don't have the option of not signing up for the class. Without a detailed ingredient list, those kits are way too expensive I think.

I agree, NB kits are way cheaper. I missed that about the class and can't look from work...so that may be true.

Yeah, if you go to their site it says you have the option of "A beer recipe kit and online intermediate brewing class + $20 off next order."

So you're paying $59 for a ~$45 kit and getting an online class and a gift certificate for your next order. IMO, stick with the Midwest Groupons.

I read it as $120 to spend on brew kits. Class and $20 post groupon certificate. I bought it last night so I guess ill find out when I get the email tonight

this is the most bizarre and confusing groupon i've ever seen, and i've seen a fair amount of bizarre and confusing groupons

So after buying this, loading 3 kits into my cart, using coupon code I was awarded a credit of $48.55. Needless to say I cancelled the order and requested my money back from groupon. $59 for an overpriced kit and some online class w/ limited availability and a gift certificate for $20 to be used later. This isn't a deal at all. I'm actually a bit confused as to how this is "51% off".

Back