Dead yeast? Is it too late?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My airlock stopped bubbling after 5 days in primary (before that, it was the most active airlock I've seen).

This was my first time using a smack-pack, so I'm just a little jumpy.

Think it's ok? If I'm concerned, do I have options?

Fermentation started.... did it's job. The airlock does not tell the story.

Step away from the fermenter..... Forget about it for 2 weeks.... Then check the gravity.

Patience is the hardest part of brewing.....

I had planned (per my recipe) to move to the secondary tomorrow... So I'll just proceed as planned and let it go. Plan to leave it in secondary for 45 days. Just hate to pop beer at Christmas that's less than stellar. Figured if I needed a course correction, now would be the time to do it.

your beer is fine, airlock activity means very little. check your gravity in another week, wait a few days, check it again. if it's still the same, you're most likely done. depends on what kind of beer it is, you can leave in for awhile longer to clean up. secondary is probably not necessary unless you're dry hopping, doing a fruit beer or something along those lines. 45 days is a long time in a secondary, anyway. what kind of beer is it?

It's a winter ale. The reason for the long secondary (again, found the recipe, sounded interesting) i'd imagine is due to adding bourbon soaked oak chips to get that flavor into the beer at around 21 days.

ah, ok then the long secondary makes sense. i'd be checking that one every few days to see how the taste is coming along, those chips go from perfect to waaay too strong pretty quick. good luck, sounds tasty!

Back