Double IPA Dead Wight & Blue IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACSlater

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Safale US-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 70º
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 70º
Additional Fermentation
3 days second primary @ 70º and 7 days @ 70º second secondary
Tasting Notes
Citrusy aroma, on the palate it comes across with grapefruit, mango, pineapple
This beer was originally named Independence Day IIPA. I brewed this on the 4th of July and sourced some of the ingredients for their thematic purpose. During fermentation, unforseen circumstances (plus my appreciation for corny puns) changed the name of this batch. After it had sat in secondary for 3 weeks at 1.018, I had the bright idea of mixing in some gelatin to try to fine it a bit more. Having imbibed a few beers by this point, I forgot to mix the gelatin in water beforehand, so I had the brilliant idea of using a long spoon to stir in the gelatin directly in the fermenter. (As I said, I was a few beers in...) A couple hours later, I went back to the basement on an errand and noticed a little airlock activity. I passed it off as possible degassing. The next day, the zombie krausen had risen from the grave to ferment again. After the batch had finally stopped fermenting for good, I took another gravity reading and it had dropped to 1.010 FG. Impressive. Not terribly heavy on the bitterness, but lots of hop aroma and flavor, just the way I like it.

6# Pilsen DME
½# Victory
½# Crystal 120
½# Flaked Wheat
½# Flaked Oats
¼# Belgian Wheat
¼# Malted Oats

Mashed the partial at 148º for 60 minutes.

Liberty 4.9% 1.5oz @ 60min
Centennial 8.7% 1.25oz @ 60min
Liberty 4.9% 1.5oz @ flameout
Centennial 8.7% 1.75oz @ flameout
Dry hopped with ½oz each Liberty & Centennial

So far, this is hands down the best tasting brew I've made yet, confirmed by everyone who has had it. The Liberty & Centennial play very well off of each other, and the extra "run what ya brung" malts I used in addition to the intended Victory added a pleasant malt complexity to the finished product. Several people (much more experienced with craft beer than myself) said they would happily pay the same money for a 4-pack of this as they would for any commercial IPA they'd bought. Next time I brew it I'll have to make an appropriate label for it.

Back