Dead mouse in carboy, would you use it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I literally just found one of my carboys with a mouse in it today and simply cannot believe there is a thread on it. I plan to clean and sanitize, and I'm glad that there are other (normal?) people out there doing the same. I have some justification. This mouse can't have been there more than a week and I notice no smell. My fiance would def freak though.

I literally just found one of my carboys with a mouse in it today and simply cannot believe there is a thread on it. I plan to clean and sanitize, and I'm glad that there are other (normal?) people out there doing the same. I have some justification. This mouse can't have been there more than a week and I notice no smell. My fiance would def freak though.

Search it in forums. There about 5 threads about mice in carboys :D

Better than a mouse trap apparently

Just when I thought putting plastic wrap and rubberbands around the neck of my carboys when not in use was overkill.

Forget about the carboy, fellas, isn't the fact that you have mice in your house a bigger problem?

you must not be a true home brewer.....

I had a rat problem a few months back, and my only worry was one of them messing with my brewing equipment or fermenting batches.

put a balloon into the neck and then inflate it with the mice sitting near the neck of the bottle. Slowly pull the balloon out and it should pop those buggers out.

Or you could just leave the little devil in there if you were going to condition some English "scrumpy" lol

Be careful using drain cleaner or lye in the carboy. It can etch the glass if you leave it too long or at too high concentration.

Muriatic acid would be relatively safer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad I'm not the only one with mice in the carboy. The lye worked awesome, totally dissolved those buggers. It did not etch the glass at all like posted above. Right now I just use that carboy to store some star-San. No brews have been in it.

beninan said:
you must not be a true home brewer.....

I had a rat problem a few months back, and my only worry was one of them messing with my brewing equipment or fermenting batches.

Youre right. With a 20 gallon BK, 13 gallon MLT, 30 qt and 5 gallon HLT's, 50' x 3/8 IC, 6 fermenters, stir plate, fermentation chamber, 3 ponds of hops, 50 pounds of grain, 10 packs of yeast, 3 batches bottled, one fermenting, and 300 empty beer bottles,im no true homebrewer. But i will go to Petland immediately to get some mice so i can be a true homebrewer.

Youre right. With a 20 gallon BK, 13 gallon MLT, 30 qt and 5 gallon HLT's, 50' x 3/8 IC, 6 fermenters, stir plate, fermentation chamber, 3 ponds of hops, 50 pounds of grain, 10 packs of yeast, 3 batches bottled, one fermenting, and 300 empty beer bottles,im no true homebrewer. But i will go to Petland immediately to get some mice so i can be a true homebrewer.

I really hope you saw the sarcasm in my post, but I understand that reading something online limits the "tone of voice". :mug::mug:

beninan said:
I really hope you saw the sarcasm in my post, but I understand that reading something online limits the "tone of voice". :mug::mug:

Just breakin your chops, and takin the opportunity to make a joke. Plus, i like to see the list of all my equipment in print. It motivates me to brew instead of lettin all that stuff sit unused

Back