Dead Guy Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dismantle360

Reaction score
I was looking for ideas on something to add to one of the Brew Master Kits for Dead Guy Ale.

I don't really want to use Vanilla thinking about using Cinnamon or something else but figured i would throw out the request for ideas.

Sweet orange peel sounds interesting also.

Throw some ideas let me know if you have tried something like this. Just want to make it taste a bit different.

I can't think of anything that would help that brew, and I can think of a whole lot that would hurt it. Take a look in the recipe section under spice beers, there are lots of recipes more suited to spice or citrus addition.

If you want to experiment with adding stuff, I would suggest brewing a batch, then adding small amounts of spice to samples of the finished beer. This will give you an idea of what works and what doesn't without ruining a 5 gallon batch.

I can't think of anything that would help that brew, and I can think of a whole lot that would hurt it. Take a look in the recipe section under spice beers, there are lots of recipes more suited to spice or citrus addition.

If you want to experiment with adding stuff, I would suggest brewing a batch, then adding small amounts of spice to samples of the finished beer. This will give you an idea of what works and what doesn't without ruining a 5 gallon batch.

Better yet buy some Dead Guy and spice it up and see what works with it.

Dead guy ale is a maibock style. I really don't think it'd work well with any spices without considerably changing the entire recipe.

Wow, I didn’t realize that trying different ingredients or modifying recipe's and making them more your own was such a crime.

Going forward I will only brew recipe's that have been around for long period's of time god knows we wouldn’t want to change anything.

Thanks for everyone’s support and assistance in making sure I do not modify anything. Everyone knows I would probably just mess it up anyways.

Wow, I didn’t realize that trying different ingredients or modifying recipe's and making them more your own was such a crime.

Going forward I will only brew recipe's that have been around for long period's of time god knows we wouldn’t want to change anything.

Thanks for everyone’s support and assistance in making sure I do not modify anything. Everyone knows I would probably just mess it up anyways.

Brewing is all about brewing what YOU like. If you want to change it up, go ahead and everyone else be damned! I can't really think of what would be good to add, but have at it.

Dude...Bitter Orange Peel in a Dead Guy Ale is a terrible idea

It will change the WHOLE landscape of what Dead Guy Ale is...and may ruin the beer itself

Save your bitter orange peel for a Belgian White....or a Weiss

However...If you have a unwavering desire to do something DIFFERENT to the dead guy...dry hop with a variety of hops other than what comes with the kit...

in the end...its all about what you like in a beer...so if you like bitter orange peel in a clone of one of the most powerful ale's ever....rock on kid...rock on

It's not that it's a "crime" it's just that, like Evil said, since it's a Maibok style, it really doesn't lend itself to be modified with fruit or spices...It's not like it's a wit, that can benefit from citrus and corriander, nor is it like a Stout which can handle all sorts of stuff, like coffee, coconut, chocolate, peanut butter, bourbon, rum or vanilla, or even like my Dortmunder which I put orange, cloves and ginger in... Dead Guy's just one of those perfect beers that won't Benefit from anything, that any of us can think of.

Have at it, it's your kit, we were just giving you some advice based on our experience as brewers...

If you want to learn about recipe creation or how ingredients work with each other take a read of Ray Daniel's book...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937381500/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan to give this kit a shot because I absolutely love love love the Dead Guy Ale. It is one of those beers that has hit the mark with me and I am always on the lookout for it when I am pub crawling. I have noticed that on the site where I buy most of my supplies (Homebrewer's Outpost) they have two yeasts you can order with the kit, Wyeast American Ale (Pacman) and US05 Dry American Ale yeast. Does anyone think that there would be a significant difference in flavor profiles between the two? It's really only three dollars cost difference so I am sure I will go with the Pacman, I was just curious if anyone has any input.

I plan to give this kit a shot because I absolutely love love love the Dead Guy Ale. It is one of those beers that has hit the mark with me and I am always on the lookout for it when I am pub crawling. I have noticed that on the site where I buy most of my supplies (Homebrewer's Outpost) they have two yeasts you can order with the kit, Wyeast American Ale (Pacman) and US05 Dry American Ale yeast. Does anyone think that there would be a significant difference in flavor profiles between the two? It's really only three dollars cost difference so I am sure I will go with the Pacman, I was just curious if anyone has any input.

I've brewed my clone of it, with bottle harvested pacman, US-05, Saflager yeast (which I am about to bottle) and with WYYEAST 1338 Euro Ale yeast..each of the three that I have actually tasted (the pacman, 1338, and 05) are great and each one is slightly different and each is unique..

And actually the one that tasted more like deadguy then dead guy, in a head to head taste test by a couple people and myself was the 1338...It was the biggest hit.

I'm looking forward to tasting it as a lager...

Back