Dead Guy Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Had my first today at Ruby Tuesdays on O`ahu. Damm that's good ale. Had a second shortly after the first.

Had to start a thread as when I did a search all I came up with were clone recipes.

scrambledegg81 said:
Still amazes me how Rogue Brewing has maintained their obscurity while still getting their beer into virtually every Vons in California...

Not to mention every grocery store in Virginia.

Supposedly it's an "ale in the style of a maibock". They use their Pacman yeast, which has really high attenuation and gives it that Rogue flavor.

I once made something where I started with the grain bill of Dead guy, then goosed up the starting gravity by .010 with some DME and substituted lots of Cascade hops for the Saaz and Perle. I tried both Pacman and California Ale yeast - both turned out great. I wound up getting 84% attenuation on the Pacman batch, which gave me the strong, dry ale that I was looking for. The California Ale batch was tasty, but a bit sweet for my tastes.

If you're looking for new and interesting homebrews, a Dead Guy clone recipe is a fun place to start.

Back