Dead Guy Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XCWill

Reaction score
I brewed a Dead Guy Ale clone on Monday using Wyeast All-American Ale 1272. Previously when I have used any Wyeast smack pack, some signs of fermentation have been visible within a few hours. This batch however took almost 24 hours to show any signs of fermentation, which started off very slowly. It then bubbled vigorously for around 36ish hours. And is now bubbling around 4-6/minute. Now I know that none of this by itself is a cause for concern, but the orignal gravity was supposed to be approximately 1.064 and ended up being 1.072. My steeping time and temperature were all done correctly (perhaps a little short on the volume of water used for steeping), but other than that I feel pretty good about everything else. Should I be concerned about my initial cell count, and does anyone forecast a stuck fermentation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :mug:

Since it started finally, you should be fine. I think it'll finish up for you. I think when I use a liquid yeast, I'm always going to use a starter. It sure saves you when the beer is "bigger" than you planned, as well as lessen the anxiety while I wait!

Back