"dead" beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c72

Reaction score
I was randomly going through the forums here and read a pretty interesting posts about cask conditioned English mild ale and "table" beers.

This got me thinking about "dead" beers, styles of beer that have for whatever reason are no longer widely produced & consumed. I'm guessing there's beers that have fallen victim to wars, prohibition, shortages, etc. and for whatever reason have never been resurrected.

Anyone have anything to share regarding this? I'd be very interested. Even better I'd like to hear experiences about brewing these beers. :D

via alaskian Bootleggers Bible: Prohibition Booze

3 Lb. Can Blue Ribbon Malt Syrup (hops flavored)
4 Lb. Cane sugar
5 Gal. Water
1 Pkt. Bakers' yeast

In the biggest pot you can get your hands on, boil and dissolve in a total of 5 gallons of water, the malt and sugar. Put this wort in a primary fermenter (a crock in my younger days) and when it's cool, crumble in a cake of bakers' yeast. When almost all the little bubbles stop, bottle it, adding 1/4 teaspoon of sugar to each bottle.

The majority of them that i have found over the years dont look very promising as good beers but more something brewed for amusment.....think about it- people took as little as they could and added yeast to procure alcohol. Im sure it didint always taste good and breadyeast is no substiture for brewers yeast.

Look up JAOM: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/joes-ancient-orange-mead-49106/

Back