deactivating/removing Sodium or Potassium Benzoate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corvato

Reaction score
OK, i was thinking of expirimenting with some weird flavors and juices, the problem is the majority has Sodium or Potassium Benzoate in them. which specifically stops or reduces yeasts. Is there a way to either easily remove, or deactivate this chemical so it doesn't interfere with yeast fermentation?

someone said boil it... but i was reading into benzoates, and to my understanding when you use heat, it can change into benzine, which is not very good stuff... sugar is supposed to reduce the creation of benzine, but i would guess boiling/simmering the juices would still not be good.

Dilution. If you are wanting to ferment them as is you may have a problem. If you are adding them to a beer, you probably won't have a problem. The preservatives are mostly to protect against bacteria. Yeast are more resistant to the stuff. It takes more to inhibit them.

someone said boil it... but i was reading into benzoates, and to my understanding when you use heat, it can change into benzine, which is not very good stuff... sugar is supposed to reduce the creation of benzine, but i would guess boiling/simmering the juices would still not be good.

it's benzene not benzine. The transformation of benzoates/benzoic acid in benzene is done by alkaline fusion and it's called decarboxylation.
For more infos...Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Benzoic acid melts at 122*C and boils at 249*C (Handbook of chemsitry and physics 85th ed) so it will probably start to decompose at even higher temp. You're boiling your juice/water at 100*C. But I don't think that any chemical/structural changes is going to happen.

Personally, I'd rather not buy benzoate/sorbate-treated juice and use natural juice (not from the grocery store, it's overpriced!).

Dont mess with any of the Benzoic acid salts. Its really not worth it. Look for ones that are inhibitied with ascorbates etc.

Back