DDH Hazy DIPA constructive criticism

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bcarlton74

Bill's Basement Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
New to creating my own recipes. Took suggestions on style and hops from my brewing collaborators. This is what I came up with. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated. šŸ˜
Screenshot_20210218-063952_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20210218-064010_Samsung Internet.jpg

I would move your Calypso and El Dorado 45 minute additions to a whirlpool. Adding them at 45 minutes is only going to mainly get you additional bitterness. If you want to retain the same IBU you can increase your first wort amount.

I also see you have your Day 12 dry hops listed as High Krausen. What yeast are you using for this batch? I would expect high krausen to be around Day 2 to 4 of fermentation, depending on the yeast.

Not set up for whirlpooling. Could I just do those a flame out? Hadn't decided on yeast yet. Planned on 14 days fermentation.

Are youā€™re aiming for NEIPA? If so, then drop the dextrose completely and make up for it with base grain. Then drop the c40 to 2%. At 10% itā€™s going to be too caramel sweet and hazy itā€™s going to look like a muddy mess

Last edited:
I agree the crystal malt shouldn't be there. Its a very dominant flavor that may not mix well with all the hop flavors/aromas that you are trying to get. If this were more an old school english IPA, go ahead but for a hazy I would be wary. I would also highly recommend wheat malt to replace your crystal. It will throw off your abv a bit but will help with body/protein haze while giving your base beer a much more blank slate for your hops to take over.

This is the grain bill of my last batch of a double NEIPA. Using 2 pkgs of S-04, I achieved an ABV of 8.7%. I also think you do not want the Caramel in there for this style.

PoundsGrainProportion
7Briess 2-Row35.0%
7Simpsons Golden Promise35.0%
1.5Flaked Oats7.5%
1.5Flaked Barley7.5%
1.5Briess White Wheat Malt7.5%
0.5Honey Malt2.5%
1Lactose5.0%

I personally like some crystal in my NEIPA but at 5% or lower. My favorite neipa without looking it up is about 75% golden promise 2.5% C40 2.5% Munich 20% mix of flaked oats and flaked wheat that recipe paired with fruity hops is šŸ‘šŸ»

Back