DC Area Group Grain Buy #27

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

mclardass

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Had some inquiries as to whether the buy was still happening and I'd say.. sort of. Our sponsor, 3 Stars, has obviously had other business to attend to during the pandemic but there's hope we'll have at least one or two buys in 2022. I'm in discussions with the brewery and have maintained the group buy website (now I just need to remember the database password) so we should be ready for #27 in the new year. The available products may be paired down, unsure at this point, but I'll update this thread once things become clearer.
Sláinte!

RampantOctopus

RampantOctopus Brews
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I share that interest; in the meantime, a plug for Maryland homebrew— email Kris for an aha price list. They’re very competitive.

RampantOctopus

RampantOctopus Brews
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Are you guys on the FB DC Homebrewers group b/c there’s a guy who is putting together a buy from Murphy & Rude Malting in Charlottesville VA — looks like $55 sacks of base malts. Never used them before but for the price I’m interested in checking it out.

Anyhow:

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Are you guys on the FB DC Homebrewers group b/c there’s a guy who is putting together a buy from Murphy & Rude Malting in Charlottesville VA — looks like $55 sacks of base malts. Never used them before but for the price I’m interested in checking it out.

Anyhow:

Last year a friend made a trip to the malthouse and picked up some sacks that I split with a few people. I got 10# of the Pale, English Pale Ale, and Pilsner malts. I still have not used the English, but the others made nice beers. There is also a store out in Charlottesville selling Murphy & Rude malts by the lb. I got a bunch of different ones that I am still working through:

I am not sure that the malts from Murphy & Rude are much better (or worse) than the large scale commercial maltsters, but it is really cool using a local maltsters product with grains grown in the mid-Atlantic area. They do have a few unusual malts that I am excited to try. $55 bags are a great price, as I recall them selling for more, even before recent price hikes.

I cannot see the Facebook link, probably because I am not a member of that group.