DC Area Group Grain Buy #24

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, order is in so we're good for pickup this Saturday!

I'll be there around 1000 or a little earlier and volunteers are appreciated. We can always use scales, bags, scoops, and buckets to weigh grains. I'll bring labels and some heavy-duty bags for PBW & DME.

As always, feel free to bring homebrew to sample and be considerate of our hosts by stopping by the homebrew store and/or buying some 3 Stars swag.

See everyone this Saturday!
:mug:

Hi everyone, I will be bringing some homebrew equipment on Saturday from Jason (masonjax) that he gave away before he left the area. See the picture attached. The grain mill is claimed, but everything else, if you need it, it’s yours.
IMG_8095.JPG

Thanks everyone who volunteered, the last buy went so smooth thanks to your efforts and I'm sure this one will go equally well.

Hi everyone, I will be bringing some homebrew equipment on Saturday from Jason (masonjax) that he gave away before he left the area. See the picture attached. The grain mill is claimed, but everything else, if you need it, it’s yours.

We have a new club member that is looking to get a start set. I assume that's a cooler mash tun and a...5 gallon pot?

We have a new club member that is looking to get a start set. I assume that's a cooler mash tun and a...5 gallon pot?

I think the pot is about 10 gallons. It is aluminum and has a ss ball valve. The mash tun has a braid inside and a brass ball valve. This can be a good starter set for someone. The new member can have it all.

I'm aiming to be there around 9:30.

I'll bring a big sack to put my 30# Munich split in.
And a small 11# scale and a bucket for helping with some (smaller) splits, if needed.

I'm interested in that scale.

I think the pot is about 10 gallons. It is aluminum and has a ss ball valve. The mash tun has a braid inside and a brass ball valve. This can be a good starter set for someone. The new member can have it all.

That sounds like a great set. He'll be thrilled.

I'll be there by ten to help with the sorting and splits. See you all tomorrow!

That sounds like a great set. He'll be thrilled.
Just inform the new brewer about how (not) to treat an aluminum pot/kettle. Many people look at the gray oxide layer inside and start scrubbing it off until it's all shiny again. That's exactly the wrong thing to do, as we all know. The grayer, the better.

Good point and I did during the previous buy but neglected to this time. Laptop decided to crap out today so sending a late email now in hopes of catching anyone who hasn't checked the thread.

I don't have a suitable scale, but I will bring a blade, a few supermarket plastic shopping bags, a cider made with white labs "funky cider blend," and several plastic cups for sharing out cider

Well, sorry for the brainfart at the end of the buy but thanks everyone for coming out and lending a hand. Some great conversations and a lot of fine homebrew, thanks everyone for that as well!

New buy is open, spread the word and likely see you guys in the Spring. Sláinte!

Thanks to all participating in another successful buy! Special thanks to Joe for running the show and Peter for facilitating the ordering system.

Onto the next buy, let's keep this alive!

I talked to a couple of people on Saturday about Fishbowl Homebrew Collective. Basically we are a group that rents a garage in DC and we brew 1 BBL batches every couple of months (sometimes more). There's usually a dozen or so people and we all take shifts during the brew day. It's a lot of fun and people bring homebrew to share. If you're interested or have more questions feel free to PM me or if you want to join email Fishbowlbrewing at gmail.

Back