DC Area Group Buy #16

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebrewer

Invented the IPL
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
NOTE: You may want to read all of this post again as some things have changed.

This group buy is open to HBT members who are local to the DC metro area, including MD and VA as well as the district. A limited number of folks in the Charlottesville/Waynesboro/Staunton area may participate as I drive there 6-8 times a year, but you must be willing to wait for my next trip home...

The intent of this buy is to be held on a regular schedule. We do not have a minimum order to make so we can schedule this to happen on a regular timetable and that allows you to plan your buys to the way you brew instead of having to stock up like the old model forced you to. Looks like we are getting in a groove with the buy happening every ~10-12 weeks.

Some "info" and "rules" to go over:

* If you want the price list, PM me your email address...this is the only way it is given out as our supplier has asked we keep it limited to group participants.
* PAYMENT is via PayPal only! Pay three weeks before the buy end, by Friday at midnight. Pay me at the email address I used to send you the link to the sheet. Use the pay friend/family option and DO NOT pay via PayPal check! PLEASE put your HBT moniker in the note section so I know who you are. Collating email addresses is a pain! Yes I know some of you well, but there are over a 100 people that participate and I am notoriously bad with names, so help me out by using your HBT handle in all communications.
* You can pay in advance. I don't encourage this unless you are someone who doesn't check the buy thread ~daily. If you travel a lot like I do, it may make sense for you to pay in advance as well. Remember we can refund you up to 60 days from PayPal and we can always just "pay" you if it goes beyond 60 days.
* We allow splitting of sacks (not most base malts) cuz who keeps 50 pounds of Carafa III in their local storage? Please just post as usual in the forum. Payment is due, paid to Stonebrewer via PayPal, WHEN THE BUY closes. So pay attention as I hate chasing folks down.

* The pickup location is at 3 Stars brewery in DC; always on a Saturday from 11AM-noon.

* NOTE Recent Change: The pickup will occur the Sat. three weeks after the buy closes, so buy closes Friday night, order goes in Sat. AM, pick up the second Sat. AM at 3 Stars. We will allow LIMITED orders two weeks before. The reason for doing this is it gives 3 Stars 3 chances to order and should greatly reduce us not getting something we order.
* Pickup time is 11 AM and ends at 12 or 12:30 AM (TBD), right before they can fill growlers so come prepared to buy from the HBS and get your growler(s) filled!
* If you cannot pick up your grain, you MUST arrange with someone else to do so and let Stonebrewer know who is picking up your grain
* In the past we have had issues with some sacks not showing up or the wrong sacks showing up; be forewarned that this can happen, though we believe the three week rule will eliminate or minimize this
* The price list is given out by email so if you want it PM me with your email; no email, no list, no exceptions
* The price list is private, do not share with others. Have them contact me. Do not discuss pricing on the forum. Do not give out the link.
* When ordering please use a standard format, for example copy and paste the SKU + grain straight off the price list. Something like this:

2 x BRI1004 Briess Pilsen 50 lb
1 x MUN1001 Muntons Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb)

10# WEY1031 Weyermann® CaraMunich I® 25 Kg (55 Lb.):

* ...and put it at the bottom of your post, away from text to make it stand out. In this example, the buyer is asking for 3 full sacks and to start a split of CaraMunich, of which he is taking 10 pounds.
* If you are buying splits, please quote the primary buyers post as part of your request post to make it easy for us to see what split you are taking.
* We currently create a very complete set of sheets that we keep on google drive with all the information about a buy. Please check it before asking questions. If it is not up to date, give us some time before posting. We do have real jobs, families, and we also like to brew from time to time...
* The brewery has growler hours at 1PM; they cannot sell you a growler before that by law. Don't ask.
* The brewery has a small homebrew store; PLEASE snag some hops, yeast, etc. to show your appreciation.

i wanna put this in now to give it max chances of closing out: i'd like to start a split of

1959C Dingemans Aromatic Kiln 50 Lb

i'll take 15 pounds.

aromatic malt is the same thing as melanoidin malt, fyi.

What is the group consensus about dark grain splits (black malt, roasted barley, and caramel 120). Have they ever been attempted and have they ever closed?

Cheers,

Kirk

somewhere around buys 9 to 11, we had several roast grain splits. they closed... with some pushing an cajoling. frits used to badger people into closing splits, bless him :mug:

the problem with dark grains is that you don't need a lot. i got 5 pounds of roast barley, carafa special, black patent... it'll be a while before i need any more. 5 pounds of that stuff goes a long, long way. i believe that a few others here are in the same boat.

however, there are probably some that are not. open a split to gauge interest. at worse it doesn't close and you'll need to pick up a pound at 3 Stars.

Alrighty folks, I have created the new buy sheets and have moved the splits over from the prior buy. If you want to continue to participate in these splits or not, let me know:

Available Splits:
Dingemans Cara 20 ---------20
Dingemans Aromatic Kiln ---35
Weyermann CARAHELL -----30
Weyermann CARAFOAM ----10
Gambrinus Honey -----------25

If you want to continue to participate in these splits or not, let me know:

Available Splits:
Dingemans Aromatic Kiln ---35
Gambrinus Honey -----------25

I'm still in for the Honey.

1x CRI1002 Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb)
1x WEY1003 Weyermann Pilsner 25 kg (55 lb)

I would also like to start a split of 3441C Briess DME Golden Light 50 lb. I would take 10 lb please. I also volunteer to help divide up the DME.

Its been awhile since I've done a group buy, glad to be back.

What is the group consensus about dark grain splits (black malt, roasted barley, and caramel 120). Have they ever been attempted and have they ever closed?

Cheers,

Kirk

I would be for 5lb of Roasted Barley or Chocolate.

thank goodness for these grain buys! i was a bachelor this past weekend, so of course i brewed saturday and sunday. used up 2/3 of my bag of pils, guess i'll need to restock. bad timing: beer won't be ready for buy #15, beer won't exist by #16 :D

1850C Avangard Malz Premium Pilsen 55 Lb

I would also like to start a split of 3441C Briess DME Golden Light 50 lb. I would take 10 lb please. I also volunteer to help divide up the DME.
i'll take 15 pounds of that.

i need 15 lbs of whatever DME makes lager starters the best...im turning over a new leaf
1 bag pils avangard or what sweetcell picks
ill take 25 lbs of wheat as well

i need 15 lbs of whatever DME makes lager starters the best...im turning over a new leaf
1 bag pils avangard or what sweetcell picks
ill take 25 lbs of wheat as well
the Briess DME Golden Light split that jamisonia opened up is perfect for all starters. go with that.

avangard pils is a solid choice.

and i guess you're starting a wheat split? any brand preference, or just go with whatever is cheapest?

the Briess DME Golden Light split that jamisonia opened up is perfect for all starters. go with that.

avangard pils is a solid choice.

and i guess you're starting a wheat split? any brand preference, or just go with whatever is cheapest?

not being a pro, i refuse to accept that malt quality affects the beer, so cheapest.

I'm still in on my previously open split (cara20).

I would be for 5lb of Roasted Barley or Chocolate.

Not sure if there's a preference but I'd like to try closing a split on roasted barley. Put me down for:

- 5 lbs of 1921C Briess Roasted Barley
- 5 lbs of 3441C Briess DME Golden Light

I'll just put out there that I'm coming from the Richmond area and don't mind picking up a few items for people that are interested. As long as the pickup isn't on June 18th or July 16th.

bmcgarry and Cyberbrew: this is a reminder to you (and me!!) that you have already paid for your splits from the last buy that carried over. Hopefully I don't screw this up...;)

Splits Available in Buy #16:
Dingemans Aromatic Kiln ---30
Briess DME Golden Light -----5
Briess Roasted Barley ------45
Gambrinus Honey ----------25

I'm still in on my previously open split (cara20).

Not sure if there's a preference but I'd like to try closing a split on roasted barley. Put me down for:

- 5 lbs of 1921C Briess Roasted Barley

- 5 lbs of 3441C Briess DME Golden Light

I'm in for:

10# Briess Roasted Barley
10# Briess DME Golden Light

Thanks

I see someone did start a roasted barley split, so I'll put my money where my mouth (keyboard) is.

5 lbs of 1921C Briess Roasted Barley

I'm in.

Sack
RAH1004 Rahr Pale Ale 50 lb

New Split
20 lbs Avangard Malz Premium Light Munich 55 Lb (1856C)

Existing Split
5 lbs Briess Roasted Barley 50 Lb (BRI1062)

Please put me in for:

1x BSG 3400C Muntons Extra Light 55Lb Box (DME)

1x BSG 3440C Briess DME Pilsen Light 50Lb

1x BSG 3441C Briess DME Golden Light 50Lb

Also, if anyone is considering starting a split on some Wheat DME, please let me know. I'd be interested in about 15-20 pounds.

Back