Day old bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flars

Reaction score
I was watching a cooking show on PBS. The chef was doing a recipe which called for bread crumbs. She said. "Don't worry, you can use day old bread for bread crumbs. You don't need to throw it out."

Does this woman toddle off to the market each morning for a loaf of bread? What is the time line for throwing out eggs? Left overs most likely don't exist in her kitchen.

She most likely did not mean this to be humorous.

Lol. Even bakery bread with no preservatives will last more than over night. Nothing gets thrown in less than four days.

The quality definitely diminishes after day 1, but a new loaf per day is exceptionally wasteful.

I prefer my toast to be made with not-so-fresh bread...either that or cube it up and put it in the freezer for stuffing/dressing later in the year. Bread pudding is great too.

It's a culture thing. Most recipes that call for day old bread were established by cultures that always, and I mean always, have a loaf or two of real, rustic bread laying around. Whether they make it themselves or get it from the market, these people aren't usually buying Wonder bread. Day old bread should not be taken literally. A rustic loaf can last for several days if stored properly. The older, slightly stale bread can be used for things like meatballs or meatloaf.

We are still eating our homemade sourdough bread 5,6 maybe 7 days later.
It is still fine, just dries out a little.

We used to buy old bread from the "day old" rack at the stores in the area before food banks started getting them. Especially French or Italian in those perforated bags. I'd stick'em in the freezer to freeze dry. Then chunk them up & make crumbs in the food processor & store them in air-tight containers for use.

I'm buying Walmarts day old bread, Italian and French unsliced loaves, for baked garlic and cheese.

It's a culture thing. Most recipes that call for day old bread were established by cultures that always, and I mean always, have a loaf or two of real, rustic bread laying around. Whether they make it themselves or get it from the market, these people aren't usually buying Wonder bread. Day old bread should not be taken literally. A rustic loaf can last for several days if stored properly. The older, slightly stale bread can be used for things like meatballs or meatloaf.

This makes more sense. Day old bread meaning stale bread, more appealing than saying, "I used stale bread for this recipe."

This makes more sense. Day old bread meaning stale bread, more appealing than saying, "I used stale bread for this recipe."

What those recipes call for is some toughness and rigidity in the bread as opposed to soft bread that just turns into mushy mess.

As long as it's not moldy, you're good.

Back