David Lebovitz's Guinness Milk Chocolate Ice Cream

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVarmy

Reaction score
I just made this recipe from David Lebovitz's book Perfect Scoop, and I have to say, it's really good. I haven't frozen it yet, but the custard's got a good chocolate flavor followed by some mild bitterness from the stout, with maybe a hint of hoppiness. I used Sam Adams' Cream Stout instead of Guinness, and I also used two extra large Valentine's Nestle bars for the milk chocolate (A premium brand would probably be better, but I can't homebrew and afford Ghiradeli). Plus, the recipe left me with more than half a beer and chocolate bar.:mug:

Chow.com has it at this link, but if you have an ice cream maker, I can't recommend the book enough. The recipes are really good and reliable.

PS: I've seen Emeril's Guinness recipe in a search for this here, but I don't know how this stands up to it. This definitely has a beer flavor, but it doesn't taste so intense as to be off-putting for people who don't like beer.

Well, it's finished, and it tastes every bit as good as the custard did. My little sister liked it, too, saying "It's much better than anything you get at an ice cream shop." I get the feeling she liked the mild hop flavor, which really does work with the chocolate.

Responding a bit late to this, but I do suspect they often choose Guinness not for specific reasons, but just because it carries a certain cache. You can easily substitute.

Milk chocolate is fairly unusual in ice cream as it doesn't always cut through the other flavors as well as dark, bitter chocolate does. Maybe in this case it balances the dryness of the Guinness.

Back