database addition proposal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anderj

Reaction score
I know that there are a lot of recipes that are proven award winners spattered throughout the database. I propose that there be a category added that is titled something like "award winning recipes" where each one would have the contest and and placing. This could also be "award winning recipes and HBT favorites" which could also include the "five star" recipes despite style.

Any thoughts?

-ander

We've had this discussion / debate several times.

Question becomes what determines a favorite? What defines an "award winner"? Who determines which recipes deserve to be favorites (because everyone wants to believe their recipe is a favorite)?

Consensus seems to be "brewer beware" when it comes to selecting a recipe.

A few things that help:
  • Check out what other brewers are brewing (by checking their sigs)
  • When submitting a recipe, the more write-up and background you give, the more informed decision someone can make about brewing your beer.
  • Select only recipes that the brewer acknowledges having brewed, tasted and served.

I think it's also very helpful when people who brewed a particular recipe post their experience at the end of the recipe thread. Even if they just say "tried it, it was nice", it's still useful to have it as a positive second opinion.

anderj said:
I know that there are a lot of recipes that are proven award winners spattered throughout the database. I propose that there be a category added that is titled something like "award winning recipes" where each one would have the contest and and placing.

I think it's a good idea--I was thinking about this just the other day when trying to find a good base recipe. Of course it would either have to be on the honor system or it might keep all the mods busy moving recipes around.....

BierMuncher said:
What defines an "award winner"?
I would assume it would be a recipe that won an award in a homebrewing contest?

I understood anderj's post to mean recipes that have actually won in competition. "Award Winning" in a strict sense, not a subjective one.

Someone, I think Bobby_M, previously suggested adding a field to the recipe form for competition wins. I have no idea how feasible this is.

Would prosting be a suitable alternative? That or maybe rating, so people can order by that. This way the good ones could bubble up to the top...

maltMonkey said:
I think it's a good idea--I was thinking about this just the other day when trying to find a good base recipe. Of course it would either have to be on the honor system or it might keep all the mods busy moving recipes around.....

I would assume it would be a recipe that won an award in a homebrewing contest?

Recipe management isn't in our job description. :D

I think by using winning entries at club competitions as a qualifier, you'd eliminate some of the very best beers on here.

Clearly there are some winners among HBT'rs that were never entered into a competition:
  • Edworts Haus Ale
  • Dude's Lake Walk Ale
  • Yoopers DFH-60
  • Some guys Centennial Blonde

I like the idea of including any accolades in the recipe itself. Why not boast a little about the hard won medals.

I tend to agree with BM on this one. Adding a field to the database with this information could probably be done, but I don't think it's necessary when it can all be added now in the body of a posted recipe.

I think the idea here is not to restrict entries in the database to only those that have won in competition, but find a way to flag the winning ones that are already there.

See the difference?

I have no idea how hard it was to implement or the resources required, but Bobby’s hop thread had a poll at the top that gave total numbers voted and names of participants in each category. Would it be possible to have something like this at the top of each recipe where anyone trying it could rate the recipe on, say, a scale of one to five stars? Knowing that one of the experienced brewers tried a recipe and gave it high rating would be helpful.

either way you do it I think that it would be nice to have a more easily identifiable was of showing what a particular beer has won. Maybe some way to tag the entry. I agree that there are some great recipes that have not won awards but I thought that it would be cool if there was a way to give recognition to, and showcase the ones who have.
Maybe a sticky at the top of each style catagory, it is just a thought.

-ander

Yeah--I'm thinking along the lines of Beerthoven's idea--just a "flag" that would show up to quickly identify at a glance which recipes had won a competition. Otherwise you have to individually open every single recipe and scan through all the comments.....

If you guys will look at the Epicurious.com website, they rate food recipes with "forks". Something like that for beer recipes would be totally awesome.

2 cents,

M.

Well, there already is a rating system for threads; I just don't think many posts use it (though when it is used, it gets my attention)

2008-05-05_0830.png

I think it's also very helpful when people who brewed a particular recipe post their experience at the end of the recipe thread. Even if they just say "tried it, it was nice", it's still useful to have it as a positive second opinion.

I agree, the more comments on a recipe the more likely I am to brew it.

Latest posts

Back