Darker color without the flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know I've asked this before, but couldn't find it. I've made a few batches of a dark lager. This last batch I brewed had the smokeyness I wanted, but it didn't have the dark almost black color. I'm using Carafa2 for the flavor and color.

My question is I don't want to add anymore flavor with this grain only color. How late in the mash should I add more of this grain?

Dehusked carafa III. Very little roastiness, but really deep/dark color... It's what most commercial breweries use for black IPA's, where the color, but not the flavor, is desired.

I was gonna add during sparge. I just wasn't sure if it would be long enough to get some color.

I might also try Dehusked carafa III. After using CarafaII in the mash. I just want to add some color.

That's what I was thinking! Either Sinamar, or dehusked (special) carafa III. You could add them to the end of the mash, as you shouldn't have any flavor impact by doing that.

That's what I'm try to figure out. How far into a 90 mash to get some color?

I'd say the last 15 minutes or so should work fine, and won't impact the pH of the mash at all either.

As always Yooper, Cheers. The color has been a little off. I have the smokeyness down, but I need it really black to be true to the style. Thanks again...

Back