Darkening, thermowell, temp controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvend

Reaction score
Hi, i brewed a american ale with a gravity of 56, wyeast with a ranco temperature digital controller inside my fridge. The yeast optimal range is between 15C and 22C, if you want it to develop mild citric flavor you can have it between 15C and 19C so I have it between 15C and 19C. The thing is I brewed last saturday, moderated movement and gas ever since and today is darker, little bubble activity. Im concerned that I didnt placed tape above the thermowell with the temperature probe inserted and maybe it oxidated or something, anything wrong? Did i missed something? Shoul I raised temperature to 15 to 22? Help!!

No worries. It's not unusual at all for "bubble activity" to slow and stop at this point in time.

I'd leave it alone for another 10 days and see what your gravity is. If you can precisely set the temp, let it come up on its own to 19*C and leave it there.

Personally, I just tape the temp sensor to the side of my bucket and insulate over it. Fewer worries and it reads the fermenter temp just fine.

No worries. It's not unusual at all for "bubble activity" to slow and stop at this point in time.

I'd leave it alone for another 10 days and see what your gravity is. If you can precisely set the temp, let it come up on its own to 19*C and leave it there.

Personally, I just tape the temp sensor to the side of my bucket and insulate over it. Fewer worries and it reads the fermenter temp just fine.

What about the darkening? Normal?

In my experience all my worts look darker as the fermentation eats the sugars that have a lighter "milky" look. I would also think that with the fermentation causing positive co2 pressure in the fermenter I doubt the beer got oxidized. Isn't the thermowell tight in a stopper? And the tube itself closed on the liquid end? I wouldn't think there would be any need for tape.

I also just put the sensor on the outside of my fermenters with a folded washcloth taped over the top. I hear that a lot of people use bubblewrap.

Bubblewrap. I had a piece already that works well. You can even use a folded up paper towel if need be.

+1 on the darkening. I wouldn't worry about it.

Good deal. Though it would be more involved than just bubble wrap. Thanks!

Back