Dark Stout with Soft Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WorryWort

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm making an AG stout tomorrow.

I've got really soft water in Vancouver BC, which is best suited for about 5 SRM beers, but my stout will be 40 SRM

Will I be OK just adding 5.2 stabilizer to my mash, or should I use salts to adjust, or use both salts and 5.2?

I can figure out the numbers myself, but I don't know if the 5.2 is going to give the same results as salt adjustments. Anybody know?

Any help is appreciated!

Can you post a water report. I would need to see the individual salts to know if there is anything that is too high or low.

If you add the 5.2, you may have the right pH, but some other salt might be out of range for the style. I'd be glad to help though if you have a water report.

But I think you answered my question already - I might miss the mark on the finer points without salts, but I should be able to make a fine beer without them, just using 5.2 to take care of the pH issues.

Back