Dark dry cider yeast strain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyrne

Reaction score
I’m sorry if this is discussed all over the place already but most of the suggestions and tutorials seem to stress clear commercial type cider... I’m in the states (Kentucky) and haven’t tasted a lot of hard ciders that I actually liked but I do have lots of pear and apple trees and I like the dark acidic, tannic tasting fresh ciders I’ve tried so... Im wondering what the best yeast strain and strategy would be for an acidic cloudy cider with plenty of “character” but no real sweetness: very dry.

Im staring at an amazon cart full of beginner supplies but am hesitating on the type of yeast.

Everyone has a different favorite yeast.

Check out this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/cider-yeast-selection.637961/

You can also consider allowing the natural wild yeast to make the cider. I've had great success with wild fermentations.

We're all happy to answer questions though you'll get a variety of opinions. You may have to try a few things to see what works best for you. ;)
Cheers

What he^ said. Just pick one and go for it. I have had good luck with US-05, and K1-v1116. One of the guys swears by D-47. But almost any yeast will make a decent drinkable cider.

If you want a very dry cider, try champagne yeast. Not my thing, but I've heard it is the way to go for a very dry cider

Back