Dark DME Neccesary for a stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheaton

Reaction score
I may be crazy, but I thought I read on these forms once that using a dark extract wasn't neccesary for creating a stout? I'd like to do all DME for the next batch and was interested in using some organic DME that Northern Brewer has. The color comes from the steeping grains, right?

I just put a stout in the fermenter that was all extra pale LME and wheat. All the color came from debittered black.

It was so dark that the metal spoon I was using to stir stuff would pull out of the boil tinted black.

I never use any DME or LME other then the light stuff. Gives you alot more control.

I always use light stuff, even for dark beers. You dont really know all what they put into the dark extract to make it that way, and so with you can go light + steeping grains and have way more control over what goes into your beer.

Please help me adjust this recipe for color.

Originally called for 6 2/3 lb Dark LME I'll be using 5.4 lb light DME.

Here's the original recipe. Any need to change the steeping grains for color?

6 2/3lb Dark LME (Substituting 5.5lb Light DME)
1lb 80L Crystal
1/2lb Choc malt
1/4lb roasted barley
1oz Northern Brewer Hops
London Ale Yeast
3/4 lb lactose

Please help me adjust this recipe for color.

Originally called for 6 2/3 lb Dark LME I'll be using 5.4 lb light DME.

Here's the original recipe. Any need to change the steeping grains for color?

6 2/3lb Dark LME (Substituting 5.5lb Light DME)
1lb 80L Crystal
1/2lb Choc malt
1/4lb roasted barley
1oz Northern Brewer Hops
London Ale Yeast
3/4 lb lactose

I'm guessing this is a milk stout? I would suggest finding a similar recipe in the database that uses light DME instead of trying to convert. Otherwise using beersmith, the beer recipator, or something similar I would just try to hit the same color by adding more of the specialty grains.

It's a sweet stout, or farm stout. I guess milk stout may apply. I'd find another recipe, but I want to make this recipe. Thanks though.

I think the only conversion you need to do is from LME to DME. I converted from dark DME to light without changing the quantity at all. If anything it gave me a cleaner flavor. Once I even used Pilsner DME because I couldn't find light.

Back