Dark Chocolate Porter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balzern

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am making a dark chocolate porter and wanted to know what you all thought..

1 lb. Dark Dry Extract
6 lbs Dark Liquid Malt Extract
8 oz Simpsons Extra Dark Crystal Malt (160L)
8 oz Simpson's Chocolate Malt (412L)
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00%] (60 min) Hops 23.5 IBU
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50%] (15 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
8oz Chocolate
1 Wyeast 1338 European Ale

I was wondering what everyone thought about the LME amount I am using along with the DME and grain types...

thanks

I really like using light extract since it gives me more control over what goes into my beer (who knows exactly what grains/ratio the extract producer is using?) So I'd switch to light extract, and up the chocolate malt to .75-1 lbs to get enough roast and color. I really like the extra dark crystal, should be a nice addition to the beer.

What sort of chocolate are you using? I've had the best luck with cocoa powder. A vanilla bean in secondary is a nice touch as well.

Good luck.

Thanks! I upped the chocolate to 1 lb and then decreased the crystal to .5 lbs. Also I will be using light LME and DME and 100% unsweetened hershey's cocoa powder!

Thanks! I upped the chocolate to 1 lb and then decreased the crystal to .5 lbs. Also I will be using light LME and DME and 100% unsweetened hershey's cocoa powder!

Sounds good, let me know how it turns out.

hahah noooo that's not it! I just got excited and posted my question everywhere haha and I am doing the light extract now thanks to you! I am really pumped to try it though being i love darker beers and this is my first homemade recipe from scratch :)

I just made a chocolate porter the other day. I used unsweetened baking chocolate and melted it with a double boiler. It looks and smells great but what a mess it made!

If you can find it, fat free cocoa powder works even better. It's sold under a brand called "Wonderslim". Pure unsweetened cocoa powder, but without the fats that could affect head retention. It's not the easiest thing to find though.

Back