Dark cherry stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatblack80

Reaction score
I am going to do a cherry stout recipe with my wife, it will be her first time brewing and she got to pick what to brew.
I usually brew much lighter beers so let me know of things you might change or problems you see with the recipe.
About 46 degrees L @ around 16.75 degrees Plato from what my software comes up with.
extract brew

Steep: @ around 165F
.25lbs Simpson black malt
.25lbs Simpson roasted barley
.5lbs Simpson extra dark crystal
.5lbs Simpson chocolate malt
Boil:
(both northern brewer brand)
6lbs dark lme
3.15lbs Munich lme late addition at 15min
1oz Perle hops @ 60min
.5oz Northern Brewer @ 15min
Wyeast 3522 from starter pitch @ 68-70 degrees
Primary between 70-72 degrees 14 days
Add tart bing cherries(peeled) for 10 days in primary
Secondary at 66-68 degrees for 14 days.
Bottle with cherry extract to taste.

Thanks
Opinions or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Interesting choice of yeast... Any particular reason your going with Belgian Ardennes over a more traditional one for the style?

I love the spicy and dark fruit flavors attributed to Belgian yeasts.
Thought the flavors would play well against the chocolate and dark malts, and hopefully help some of the cherry flavor to come out.
I picked this particular Belgian yeast because of its temp range and flavor profile.
A twist on the stout flavor I guess.

Hey Jason, how's it going?

Belgian Stouts aren't too uncommon so don't worry about that. I think it will be good. Anyways, with all those steeping grains, you will have a beer that is as black as night. I would swap out your dark LME with light since all your grains are taking care of what the dark LME would do.

What IBU rating is this coming it at? I'm not really familiar with Perle hops but the Northern Brewer are usually a high alpha acid % and that may be better for your 60 minute addition. But it all depends on the AA% and the IBUs you want.

Also, check out the Warren Walmart as I've found Oregon brand cherries there before and they are the same as you would buy from a homebrew shop.

Good pointers
I will consider using lighter lme.
Also, thanks for the tip on the cherries.
Looking at around 25 IBUs I think.
I need to plug all of this into beersmith to get closer numbers.
iPad apps were all I had at work.

Ok. Made some changes because of style guidelines and suggestions given.
Replacing the dark lme with amber 5.0srm lme.
Also adding .5oz of northern brewer at 30min to meet the style.
Looks like 16.4* Plato
38 SRM for color
And 36.5 IBUs

Anymore comments or suggestions would be great.
Ordering the ingredients soon
Thanks

Back