Danstar Windsor in Scotch Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalmah21

Reaction score
Hi All. I just brewed an 80 Schilling Scotch Ale kit from Northern Brewer. I chose their dry yeast option which is Danstar Windsor. I found a couple of forum posts that suggest that Windsor is not a good yeast for scotch ales (after I pitched :( ). Sounds like the fruity quality of this yeast will overpower the malt taste that make scotch ales so great. Has anyone else ever brewed a scotch ale with Windsor? Did I just ruin an entire batch by using this yeast?

It won't be that fruity if you pitched it cool (low 60's) and keep the beer temp in the 63-65*F range for the first 4-5 days. If you let it get too warm, Windsor tends to ramp up fast and produce plenty of fruity esters.

Thanks for the response BigFloyd. I pitched pretty cool and beer temp has been holding around 63 or 64* F so I guess I should be ok. I'll post an update a few weeks after bottling with the results.

I sampled a couple bottles of the finished product. It actually turned out quite well. :mug:

Back