Danstar Windsor ale yeast (dried)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TD1001

Reaction score
hey!
i just brewed an old peculiar recipe from my LHBS. i opted out of paying extra for the liquid strain and went with the windsor ale. quick question, has anyone experimented with lower temps with this yeast? not extreme but like say 15C (59F) to try and tone down the esters a tiny bit. i have never used the windsor dry before.
this is 48 hours into primary and it's blupping away aggressively at 22C (71F) with an ambient of 18C (64F)

What i was wondering was do you guys think i could lower that temp slowly down 15 or so for the remainder of the primary then rack and secondary back up to room temp?

or is it too late to tone down ester/fruityness production

I've used Windsor in a cream stout and the fermentation temps were around 62. At 71, I think you will get some significant esters.

thanks for the reply and a big cheers to ya over in nfld! i have done all the research for the recommended temps on their website and on here. haven't been able to find anything related to using this yeast below 15C

it only climbed to 22 during the day today. like i said the ambient is 18 so temperature wasn't initially a concern but once i realized the fermenting temp i got to thinking and trying to research how low could i possibly take it without stalling or terminating fermentation. i'm also not very familiar with an old peculiar ale but the description notes a toffee and roast malty flavor with a deep bittersweet finish making me wonder if a high abundance of esters is going to ruin or diminish the beers true profile. also not fond of fusels either. waaay too many of my earlier batches were high in both due to my previous fermenting location.

Right, you need to lower it, but don't wait or worry about getting it to 15 C - just get it down from 22 to 18 or so, where you know Windsor will work and you will have fewer esters. My two cents.

wow, I found information that average is 68%, I hope it will be at least 65... well, anyway will write it up here :)

It is appropriate for when you are want a less attenuative yeast, such as in a sweet stout. I also use it in a English Honey Ale.

Back