Danstar Munich yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newsman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I am using Danstar dry Munich yeast for the first time in a kit brew which I made on New Years Day. OG was about 1.051. I rehydrated and poured my Munich yeast into the fermenter and there was no visible activity for the first few hours after I pitched. Then I went to bed. :) Yesterday evening after I got home from work, I looked at it and there's a decent amount of krausen on the top, but this does not appear to be a particularly strong ferment. The krausen looks kinda like mini marshmallows on top of hot chocolate. :)
I've got my fermentation chamber set to 60* F. From what I'm reading that's right dead in the middle of the preferred fermentation temp for this yeast. I've got it in a 6.5 gallon glass acid carboy with a blowoff tube, but it doesn't seem to be producing much in the way of CO2. Should I take the blowoff tube off and put in a standard airlock and just let it ride?
I also have a second pack of this yeast that should arrive today. Thinking that I could rehydrate that and pour it in for additional yeast. The yeast I used had a best by date of 12/2013, but had been in the fridge since shortly after I got it. Should I rehydrate the pack that's coming in today and pitch it in or just let it ride?

Leave it alone.

Other than that I don't think it would hurt anything to raise it a couple degrees at this point too.

Leave it alone.

Thanks. That's what I figured, but since it was at the end of it's "best by" date (even though it's been refrigerated) and the fermentation isn't particularly active I wasn't sure. Most everything I've made up until now has had an almost violent ferment and this is the least active I've seen.
What about fermentation temp? Is that good? This is for a dunkel kit. Also, what about changing out the blowoff tube for an airlock?

Myself, I'd probably raise it a bit and change to a airlock after a week if it doesn't show any more signs of going ballistic. I used this yeast once and don't recall that it was particularly agressive, but that can depend on a number of things.

Myself, I'd probably raise it a bit and change to a airlock after a week if it doesn't show any more signs of going ballistic. I used this yeast once and don't recall that it was particularly agressive, but that can depend on a number of things.

OK. Sounds good. I'll raise the thermostat control to about 65 and check it the beginning of the week and see how it's doing. :)

OK. I checked my brew this morning... more krausen, but still no crazy off-gassing through the blowoff tube. The stick-on thermometer on the glass carboy reads 66* and there's plenty of headspace in my 6.5 gallon fermenter, so I'll probably swap the blowoff tube for the airlock tomorrow.

Hey there.... Yeah, I just used this yeast for a German Hefe and achieved desired attenuation in 3 days... Not terribly aggressive either. I was surprised at how mellow this yeast was. I pitched the yeast @ 62F then let self-rise to 78F for a very short amount of time (1 day) to push the esters a bit. 6 days from grain to glass (I keg) and a two hour brew day from equipment setup to clean up! Granted, this was an extract batch (CBW Bavarian Wheat) with a 1/2 lb. melanoidin steeped but dang, with this fast of a brew day and finishing schedule this will be the house hefe for sure. But I digress... Back to the yeast -- I really like the dry Munich from Danstar; it's not aggressive at all, one can easily push the esters (if you like the strong banana / bubble gum like I do), and it attenuates very quickly. So far.... It's a winner.

Cheers,

-JM

Hey there.... Yeah, I just used this yeast for a German Hefe and achieved desired attenuation in 3 days... Not terribly aggressive either. I was surprised at how mellow this yeast was. I pitched the yeast @ 62F then let self-rise to 78F for a very short amount of time (1 day) to push the esters a bit. 6 days from grain to glass (I keg) and a two hour brew day from equipment setup to clean up! Granted, this was an extract batch (CBW Bavarian Wheat) with a 1/2 lb. melanoidin steeped but dang, with this fast of a brew day and finishing schedule this will be the house hefe for sure. But I digress... Back to the yeast -- I really like the dry Munich from Danstar; it's not aggressive at all, one can easily push the esters (if you like the strong banana / bubble gum like I do), and it attenuates very quickly. So far.... It's a winner.

Cheers,

-JM

Eh... not a fan of banana / bubble gum flavored beer. :) I think I'll keep it cool. May raise the temp to low 70's, but I think that's about it. :)

Back