Danstar Belle Saison Rehydration confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kzang

Reaction score
I am probably going to use the Lallemand belle saison yeast. I am a bit confused on how to do it.

Basically, it says to boil water to 86-92F, put yeast in, leave for 15 minutes. It says then to suspend yeast completely. (What does that mean?) I have no idea what it means by attemperate blending portions of wort at 5 minute intervals below 50F. Does it mean I have to cool the wort or yeast to 50F before pitching it?It says temp shock at greater than 50F will cause formation of petite mutants.

I usually just put the yeast packet into the wort which is around 80ish degrees. It also says adjust temperature of it to the work and inoculate (which means pitch it in i'm assuming?)

Here is the link below, and if you scroll down, you can read it for my clarity.

http://www.danstaryeast.com/products/belle-saison-beer-yeast

It sounds like a lot of work for a hot Yeast. I used it for a Belgian Pale, poured the packed directly into the fermenter, and had action in about 6 hours. I started it at 72, let it heat itself up to high Krausen, and stuck it in the garage over a hot streak during summer. It turned out awesome. It hit about 80°while fermenting, and let it ride for 4 weeks.

Do you have temperature control for higher Temps? With the chilly weather, I'm having a hard time getting up to 65° let alone high 70s. If you try the complex steps, report back to let us know how it turned out!

Boil roughly a cup of water (115 grams water for 11.5 mg of yeast) and let it cool to 95 to 105 F before sprinkling the yeast in. 15 min later stir with sterile spoon to suspend. Cover it as it further cools to approach your wort temp .. and setting it in the fridge is ok

Pitched it dry on wort at around 70F. Fast acting yeast with unique flavor.

This yeast temp range is around 63-70ish.

No doubt it will make good/great beer at those Temps. You may not get the esters and phenols you want for a saison yeast. That comes with heat.

From the website:
"• Saison beers are quite unique to brew. During fermentation, cooling is not normally used, allowing temperature of fermentation to increase."

In other words, if you are rehydrating, pitch per the directions above. That is SOP for rehydrating. Then, you can store it in a closet upstairs and let it ride. As I posted above, you can get it into the 80s and still get good beer, unlike other yeasts.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=359806

People let this stuff go crazy hot.

Yeah, but this yeast won't be active that hot. Max temp range is around 75F.

Boil roughly a cup of water (115 grams water for 11.5 mg of yeast) and let it cool to 95 to 105 F before sprinkling the yeast in. 15 min later stir with sterile spoon to suspend. Cover it as it further cools to approach your wort temp .. and setting it in the fridge is ok

+1 ^^^ This. You can put it I your ferm chamber to let it equalize w/ your wort temp.
I've used w/ several Saisons & and let the temp rise to 70°+ over several days. Excellent outcomes.

What do you mean put it in the fermenter and let it equalize with the wort?

ferm chamber .... do you have a cool place to set the wort when it is mostly chilled?

if not a mechanical set up like a kegerator, do you have a cool closet or a basement or someplace that keeps a constant cool?

I wonder if I can get the rehydrated yeast and wort to like around 80F and just pitch then

Others will know more than I about saisons and farmhouse ales .. 80 sounds too high. Can you start lower and let it rise to 75 or so?

Well, the rehydration says to start it at around 83-93F and it'd be easy to get my wort to that temperature than to let it cool lower than that to pitch at same temperature since I have no way to refrigerate it to cool it down

No, don't pitch it at that higher temp. One cup of water will cool down fast enough. You don't want the wort at 83-93 when you pitch. Let the yeast slurry cool off and then pitch it in 70 wort.

Let the yeast slurry cool off and then pitch it in 70 wort.

I agree -- the temp that you 'rehydrate the yeast' (package apparently says 83 to 93) is higher than where you want to pitch. When you rehydrate you are awakening the sleeping yeasties, but they are not fully ready to go work at that temp.

If you get the wort and the yeast slurry as close as possible to 70 and then pitch, you can let them rise from there to household temp.

It will work at 80 ... but IMHO you will have a better beer if you pitch a bit lower.

Back