Danger of CO2 in fermentation chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy35

Reaction score
If fermenting using an enclosed chamber (freezer), does anyone get worried about the co2 pressure inside? My plug is out and whenever i open the freezer i can smell co2 horribly.

If fermenting using an enclosed chamber (freezer), does anyone get worried about the co2 pressure inside? My plug is out and whenever i open the freezer i can smell co2 horribly.

CO2 is an odourless gas. It would take a lot of fermentation to cause a dangerous buildup of pressure, I would think. Say, for example, if you were to fill up the entire freezer with wort. In your case, I would not worry.

B

You will be fine, just don't stick your head down in there or you will get dizzy quick!

Your freezer is not as air tight as your think. I don't think you have a thing to worry about. Generally, CO2 is odorless in low concentrations, but at higher levels it has a sharp, acidic odor. You can stick your head in there and take a DEEP breath, but you will wish you never did. It's not a pleasant experience on the lungs.

Back