Dang kids killed my computer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the advice. I will not be making a trip to Best Buy tomorrow.

I know where Bangladesh is, just couldn't quickly come up with names of Indian cities.:D

The refurb or Tigerdirect seems the way to go. But, you say just plug the old drive into the new one and go. I am really, really ignorant. How exactly does one do that? You want me to write a 25-inch story with 30 minutes to deadline, I'm your guy. Fix a computer? Might as well ask my dog.

The easiest way to do it would be to get an external drive enclosure, plug the drive into that and use the USB or E-SATA cable to plug into the new PC. But that will cost like $25 ish

Otherwise since new PC's use SATA almost exclusively you would need to get an adapter for that old IDE Drive to plug it into a SATA port.

There's no problem bringing the old computer into the store and asking the tech desk to move the harddrive from the old one into the new one so that it can be accessed. The ONLY gotcha is that some of the newer PCs will ONLY have SATA connectors for peripherals whereas your old drive is probably IDE (2" wide ribbon cable).

The alternative already mentioned is finding an external drive case that matches your old drive's interface type and just plug it into the new PC via USB cable. Snapping a pic of the hard drive in the current PC would get you an answer on this quick.

Greatly simplified.

Some risk:
Google for a picture of a hard disk so you will know what to look for. The hard disk has two cables. One power (4 wires, red, yellow, black) and one data (40 pin ribbon cable ~1.5" wide. It will also have 4 screws or a snap in frame. Uncable it, remove screws, and reverse at the destination.

If you have Windows XP or later, have your product key handy as it will require you to re-license it. This may actually require a call to MSoft. If you original machine was an OEM (Dell, Compaq, etc) they may require that you call your manufacturer (dead end). You may have to reinstall drivers for optimum performance.

No risk:
Uncable HDD, remove screws, and install it as a second drive at the destination. This will become your D: drive. You are now running off the new machine and can access your data, but all programs must be reinstalled.

Otherwise since new PC's use SATA almost exclusively you would need to get an adapter for that old IDE Drive to plug it into a SATA port.

Not likely on a refurb. I've got 4 refurbs and I have yet to get a sata drive. USB enclosure is definitely how I'd go, but if he's never even seen the insides, an internal installation would offer a little more room to work.

Greatly simplified.

Some risk:
Google for a picture of a hard disk so you will know what to look for. The hard disk has two cables. One power (4 wires, red, yellow, black) and one data (40 pin ribbon cable ~1.5" wide. It will also have 4 screws or a snap in frame. Uncable it, remove screws, and reverse at the destination.

If you have Windows XP or later, have your product key handy as it will require you to re-license it. This may actually require a call to MSoft. If you original machine was an OEM (Dell, Compaq, etc) they may require that you call your manufacturer (dead end). You may have to reinstall drivers for optimum performance.

The problem with that, aside from the interface mismatch is that Windows will never work right due to all of the low level drivers no longer matching the hardware. Windows will be able to update most things, but it will always be wonky.

I tried it once, it wasn't pretty.

Not likely on a refurb. I've got 4 refurbs and I have yet to get a sata drive. USB enclosure is definitely how I'd go, but if he's never even seen the insides, an internal installation would offer a little more room to work.

That's true, I didn't think about that.

Surely you can get a replacement for a few hundred
If yours is six years old it's probably worth $100 tops.
Have your old hard drive fitted.
No way I'd pay $259 for a recovery!

Have you looked in the local paper for a home visit PC doctor?

Greatly simplified.

Some risk:

No risk:
Uncable HDD, remove screws, and install it as a second drive at the destination. This will become your D: drive. You are now running off the new machine and can access your data, but all programs must be reinstalled.
I like the no risk option, but still need a lot of help. I've got the sucker open right now and believe I've located the hard disk (at least it looks one in the pics). It might take some time to figure out how to remove it. There's the fear of unknown things involved.

Please explain installing it at the destination, which I assume is the new tower. I plan on maybe getting a refurb similar to the one I have, through Dell because I'm at least comfortable with the product.

This is really confusing me. I hope I'm not taking too much of your time, and driving you too crazy, with this. Looking to save some cash in this.

And more:
how can one tell the difference between SATA and IDE. I seem to remember SATA coming up when I purchased the computer. It might actually be younger than six years old. My memory is sketchy. I looked on DellOutlet.com and can grab a refurb there for about 279, which I'm willing to pay for the expandability I'll need when my kids get older.

And more:
how can one tell the difference between SATA and IDE. I seem to remember SATA coming up when I purchased the computer. It might actually be younger than six years old. My memory is sketchy. I looked on DellOutlet.com and can grab a refurb there for about 279, which I'm willing to pay for the expandability I'll need when my kids get older.

IDE_SATA.jpg

The left side is an IDE cable, the right is SATA

Here is a good tutorial on swapping a drive.

Can you take pictures and post.
I'm sure we/they can talk you through it.

I can will but it will take some time. I'm working off my work-issued laptop. The tech guys have made many things off limits to us plebes, but I have the ids and password to get around that.;)

Time for supper and then kid time for awhile. Thanks for bearing with me.

OK, here's what I'm gathering/thinking:
I can get a refurbed tower with whatever bells, whistles I want, don't want, within budget. I can then take my current hard drive, encase it and get a SATA adapter to rig into the new tower. I can then get all the stuff I care about back, plus maybe have a few extras for not so much money.

Am I on the right track?

I might be able to forego the refurb route and spend even less money. My neighbor's father-in-law, a computer guy, unfortunately died recently. He was a great guy and a wonderful help to me at times. His computer is supposedly laying dormant as his wife doesn't have much use for it. I could probably buy it from her (she'll try to give it to me, but I won't do that) and then go about my plan.

OK, here's what I'm gathering/thinking:
I can get a refurbed tower with whatever bells, whistles I want, don't want, within budget. I can then take my current hard drive, encase it and get a SATA adapter to rig into the new tower. I can then get all the stuff I care about back, plus maybe have a few extras for not so much money.

Am I on the right track?

I might be able to forego the refurb route and spend even less money. My neighbor's father-in-law, a computer guy, unfortunately died recently. He was a great guy and a wonderful help to me at times. His computer is supposedly laying dormant as his wife doesn't have much use for it. I could probably buy it from her (she'll try to give it to me, but I won't do that) and then go about my plan.
You most likely wont need the SATA enclosure as the majority of mainstream models will still have PATA (ide) drives. The other route sounds promising as well, with less assurance of working though, and you have no idea the things he had done to the comp/software.....

The problem with that, aside from the interface mismatch is that Windows will never work right due to all of the low level drivers no longer matching the hardware. Windows will be able to update most things, but it will always be wonky.

I tried it once, it wasn't pretty.

I've done it many times. It's certainly not ready to be a game machine as described, but it functions (which gets him operational). Update the video, and delete all the other devices and let them be re-found. System is now stable. Last, install the manu specific NIC, Video, Audio, and you're good to go.

As I finish typing that, I tend to agree. Not the best route for the OP. If you're getting a new machine, follow Tenchiro's advice and get a USB enclosure.

As I finish typing that, I tend to agree. Not the best route for the OP. If you're getting a new machine, follow Tenchiro's advice and get a USB enclosure.
This would then be an external hard drive, correct? It doesn't seem like it will be hard to do, but you can bet I'll be back here looking for some hand holding when I get the new machine, which after further research might be in the $350 range. I can handle that without a coronary.

Getting an external USB case is a really good idea, that bypasses possible problems you can run into installing it inside the new computer. Also, once you've copied your data over to the re-furb, you can use the old drive for backup. I have one external drive that I use for backing up all three (soon to be four) of my systems.

Also if you want help designing a new computer I can be of some help. I recently re-built my PC. I was able to rebuild the entire thing aside from the case and optical drives for under $500, which is pretty good considering it is a decent gaming rig.

if it were me id goto wallymart. you can get adecent computer for under 5 bills..i would also do the external hard drive....if you can brew beer you can work on a computer... i learned when i first built my computer by reading the computer building for dummies...no joke.

Told you I'd be back. Looking at Dell outlet, I've found a couple options and was hoping if you folks could tell me if this would work combined with encasing my existing hard drive as an external.

A refurbed Inspiron 530s, 250 GB SATA II hard drive, 2GB memory, $249. OR a scratch and dent Inspiron 530s 500 GB SATA II hard drive, 3GB memory, $289. My only concern, and it may be unfounded, is both have Vista as the OS when I currently have XP.

I like the Insipiron only because it's a slim tower similar to the one I have now. Space is limited.

Thanks again for the help.

Told you I'd be back. Looking at Dell outlet, I've found a couple options and was hoping if you folks could tell me if this would work combined with encasing my existing hard drive as an external.

A refurbed Inspiron 530s, 250 GB SATA II hard drive, 2GB memory, $249. OR a scratch and dent Inspiron 530s 500 GB SATA II hard drive, 3GB memory, $289. My only concern, and it may be unfounded, is both have Vista as the OS when I currently have XP.

I like the Insipiron only because it's a slim tower similar to the one I have now. Space is limited.

Thanks again for the help.

Vista isn't all it is cracked up to be, but you can install XP easily enough on any PC. If the PC you are buying has the Business version of Vista, then there should be a free XP downgrade available. Although if you want to stick with Vista, and mount that drive as a USB device there will be no problems reading it as NTFS is still the standard file system under Vista.

Both those PC's look good though, the latter would be my pick, although 3G of RAM is an odd configuration, but it shouldn't cause any problems.

Vista isn't all it is cracked up to be, but you can install XP easily enough on any PC. If the PC you are buying has the Business version of Vista, then there should be a free XP downgrade available. Although if you want to stick with Vista, and mount that drive as a USB device there will be no problems reading it as NTFS is still the standard file system under Vista.

Both those PC's look good though, the latter would be my pick, although 3G of RAM is an odd configuration, but it shouldn't cause any problems.

Honestly, I'd rather stick with XP because of the horror stories I've heard about Vista (as if they actually mean anything to me:D).

Tenchiro, thanks for the help. So I'm guessing I should pull the trigger.

Both of them seem good for the price. They ship with Vista Home Premium which has no free downgrade to XP though.

But Vista isn't a bad OS, just kind of sluggish feeling over XP. I have found that a so-so Vista PC is generally a fantastic XP PC. Assuming the video card on those PC's is built into the chipset you will probably want to turn off the Aero features in Vista and that should bump the performance a bit.

EDIT - Also that extra 1GB of RAM will help a lot as well.

Just made the purchase. After tax and shipping, a decent get for $339. Now if I can figure out how to do what I need to do when it arrives.

I'm off to the library to grab a book or two to walk me through.

Save yourself the book. You can do the HDD --> USB case faster than you can go get the book.

Thanks again.

I hit the library and found nothing useful. I was there anyway for my daughter's story time.

I ordered the adapter. I assume I can just plug this into my current hard drive without going through the trouble of removing it. Then I can just save my existing tower until I can find someone who might want it, minus the hard drive of course.

Thanks again.

I hit the library and found nothing useful. I was there anyway for my daughter's story time.

I ordered the adapter. I assume I can just plug this into my current hard drive without going through the trouble of removing it. Then I can just save my existing tower until I can find someone who might want it, minus the hard drive of course.

Yeah, you can just undo the set screws on the HDD and remove the cables. Slide it from the case and plug that adapter into it and then just plug it into the USB.

Help. Help. I got the tower today. Hooked the adapter up to the old hard drive and the new tower. Now what? I can't figure out how to move the stuff from my old hard drive to the new one via the adapater.

The adapter didn't come with a user manual. It did come with a disk that I can't seem to get the new tower to read. UUUUUGGGGHHH!!!

Help. Help. I got the tower today. Hooked the adapter up to the old hard drive and the new tower. Now what? I can't figure out how to move the stuff from my old hard drive to the new one via the adapater.

The adapter didn't come with a user manual. It did come with a disk that I can't seem to get the new tower to read. UUUUUGGGGHHH!!!

Ok, the old machines drive is in a usb enclosure right?, well the new computers drive will be the C: drive and likely the dvd/cdrom will be D:

any others will be the usb drive (windows xp will see the usb drive without drivers if it is even remotely industry standard)

now you need to locate the user name inside the documents and settings folder in that drive, and get the pictures and documents you need outta there....

Back