Dandelions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My yard is currently covered in dandelions. While searching for a good chemical weapon to use against them, I came across a website for Dandelion Beer. I searched around and found one recipe that seemed pretty weak.

Before I go out and conduct full spectrum combat operations against my dandelion population, does anybody have any good recipes/experiences for these things?

From what I've read, they are used in place of hops?

As someone also struggling with dandelions in my yard, I'm assuming your plan is to brew up some dandelion goodness and then drink in the yard in full view of the survivors, resulting in a mass exodus of the offending weed. I salute your effort and will follow your progress with great interest.

As someone also struggling with dandelions in my yard, I'm assuming your plan is to brew up some dandelion goodness and then drink in the yard in full view of the survivors, resulting in a mass exodus of the offending weed. I salute your effort and will follow your progress with great interest.

Haha! Great response! Yes, a 60 min boil should be a good show of force!

You can use the leaves for bittering, or the flowers for floral/herbal character. It's a decent amount of work to get enough petals for a good tea or beer addition, though.

Sorry don't have any recommendations for you. Your post reminded me of a time (about 30 or so years ago) when my grandma made jelly out of the tiny little violet flowers that grew in my parent's yard. They were tiny, I don't know how many she must have picked but had to be hundreds. She made two very small glass jars of jelly out of them. Tasted pretty good!

Good luck on your project!

Never had them in beer, but dandelion wine (made from the flowers, water, white sugar, and a little bit of citrus juice) is a classic. The times I tried to make it it hasn't come out so well, so I need a better recipe, but when I've had good dandelion wine it tastes like summer vacation in a glass. If you can get that awesome quality in your beer, you will have no regrets about anything in your life at all. Good luck!

At my last club meeting, a member brought a Dandelion Chicory Stout that he brewed using the root. It was pretty good. Dandelion roots have historically been used to make tea & root beer, so there's good precedent.

Magic hat made a dandelion beer calld pistol I believe. Wasn't too bad. Idk if I buy it again. Had more floaters in it then most home brews that ive seen.

Slipper Pig Brewery here in Poulsbo, WA does a dandelion sour, which is amazing. I know they use the whole plant, roots and all. Not sure when they add them, or if it's a hop substitute. But it's one of my favorites they make.

Back