Dandelion Wine Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duderay

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently started a 3 gallon batch of dandelion wine. I used 3 quarts of petals only as well as the juice and rind of 6 oranges and 3 lemons. For yeast I went with Lalvin EC-1118. After adding the sugar to the must, I had some leftover must that was displaced from the sugar. I placed this in a container in the refrigerator. Will this be ok to use to top up my carboy after I rack? Should it be kept in freezer instead of refrigerator? Or should I stick with water or white grape juice for topping off? Also, I heard that Lalvin EC-1118 can leave a yeasty flavor in lighter wines, so I was wondering if I should add some golden raisins for body. If I add the raisins when should I do it? I started fermenting on June 3rd, 2016. Thanks!

I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I'm using app and am having trouble navigating it since I was gone about a year.

I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I'm using app and am having trouble navigating it since I was gone about a year.

No worries, I'll move it to the wine forum. Sorry I can't help you with your question, but more folks will see it there and perhaps you'll get more response.

Hello,

I recently started a 3 gallon batch of dandelion wine. I used 3 quarts of petals only as well as the juice and find of 6 oranges and 3 lemons. For yeast I went with Lalvin EC-1118. After adding the sugar to the must, I had some leftover must that was displaced from the sugar. I placed this in a container in the refrigerator. Will this be ok to use to top up my carboy after I rack? Should it be kept in freezer instead of refrigerator? Or should I stick with water or white grape juice for topping off? Also, I heard that Lalvin EC-1118 can leave a yeasty flavor in lighter wines, so I was wondering if I should add some golden raisins for body. If I add the raisins when should I do it? I started fermenting on June 3rd, 2016. Thanks!

Your must could be fermented, and then it would be fine to top off with. I have little bungs with airlocks for that fit beer bottles and wine bottles, just for the top off wine. I wouldn't save it in the fridge. Freezing will be ok, but if it's not fermented, it will kick start fermentation again, so you'll have to rack and then need to top off, etc. Just put the extra must in another vessel, and add some of the other must that's had yeast added to it, and save it for topping off as needed.

EC-1118 is one of the most neutral yeast strains, and won't leave a yeasty flavor. It's one of my favorites for making soda, since it's so clean.

If you add raisins for body, you can add them any time.

Started my 1st-ever wine tonight- Dandelion, using Yooper's recipe. I collected 270gm of blossoms over the past month and stored them in the freezer. After 4.5 years, and 74 beer batches, why not try wine, says I. It is a pain in the tushy cleaning all the blossums though. Better be worth it........

Can I add another question to this instead of a new thread? Would I cause any harm by picking another couple of cups of dandelion and making a really strong tea with them and adding it to the existing batch that's a couple months old at this point to try and boost the dandelion flavor?

I've only made one batch of dandelion wine so far, but I do know you have to be patient. I tried some of mine at 6 months and it was so-so. I tried it at around 14 months old and it was great. You have to wait at least a year after bottling before trying it.

So how am I supposed to taste it to figure out proper backsweetening if I wont know what it will taste like for a year?

Back