Dandelion Unhopped Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Blauvelt

Reaction score
has anyone brewed a beer with just dandelions for preservative/ bittering herb? I was looking at making a nice light beer from the last running's of an all Maris Otter malt barley wine.

I also wanted to only use dandelions as the only herb but I have no idea if they will give a tasty bitter flavour, or if they will properly preserve the resulting beer. I also would need to know an amount of dandelions to use.

I know that Lactobacillus has a hard time working in a beer with even a small amount of hops but, if there is another bacteria that might get into an unhop'd ale, I would like to know in advance... (so I don't accidentally give myself cholera, if that is even possible). :drunk:

A micro brewery called Propeller in Halifax, NS has a great IPA that I find tastes and smells a lot like dandelions. Great brewery BTW.

ericd

Reaction score
I say try it. Dandelions are a potent diuretic though, in fact their name in french literally means "piss in bed."

lou2row

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I say try it. Dandelions are a potent diuretic though, in fact their name in french literally means "piss in bed."

And I was just thinking I need a beer recipe to make for my in laws.:rockin:

I remember the bitterness of when my Dad used to make dandelion greens wilted salad. It would be an interesting experiment. What about using them to flavor a wheat beer?