Dandelion and Burdock Beer Anyone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zythos

Reaction score
A friend and I were talking about using plants that could be found in the back yard to brew and he suggested dandelions which led me to check it out online. I did a quick google search and sure enough I found this from azdrinkrecipes.com it makes 8 pints:

Dandelion and burdock beer ingredients:

1 lb Young nettles
4 oz. Dandelion leaves
4 oz. Burdock root, fresh, sliced
-OR-
2 oz. Dried burdock root, sliced
1/2 oz. Ginger root, bruised
2 each Lemons
1 g water
1 lb +4 t. soft brown sugar
1 oz. Cream of tartar
Brewing yeast ( see the manufacturer's instructions for amount)

Dandelion and burdock beer preparation:

1. Put the nettles, dandelion leaves, burdock, ginger and thinly pared rinds of the lemons into a large pan. Add the water.
2. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 mins.
3. Put the lemon juice from the lemons,1 lb. sugar and cream of tartar into a large container and pour in the liquid thru a strainer, pressing down well on the nettles and other ingredients.
4. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
5. Cool to room temperature.
6. Sprinkle in the yeast.
7. Cover the beer and leave it to ferment in a warm place for 3 days.
8. Pour off the beer and bottle it, adding � t. sugar per pint.
9. Leave the bottles undisturbed until the beer is clear-about 1 week.

Has anyone actually tried brewing this? I've heard of dandelion wine but beer, I have not. Looks interesting to say the least. Maybe a nice novelty summertime brew??? :drunk:

When I think dandelions, I think delicious and refreshing! Actually, I've got a virtual dandelion farm in my back yard. I could make gallons upon gallons of that stuff. My mouth's watering just thinking about it!:D

dandelion and burdock together make a very healthful drink good for cleansing the liver and body of toxins. I havent made this one in particular but have made and tasted several "herb beers" and i have to say dont expect it to taste like beer as you know it. my advice add some hops to the recipe and it wont have as much of an herbal taste. Dandelion leaves can be bitter the later it gets in the season I was considering using some roasted dandelion root in place of the leaves in the recipe i have. Good luck, would like to hear how it goes

Back