Danby Model DAR440BL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron

Reaction score
I'm looking for fridge to eventually convert to a 2 tap kegerator.

The DAR440BL looks a pretty good deal @ $162 from Sams Club.

Just want to store my single corny with picnic tap and co2 tank-- until I have the time and money to fully convert it.

I have the Dar482bls. It's 4.4 CF as well, not quite sure if the same exact dimensions tho.

I was able shove 2 pin locks in it after shaving the self supports on the sides down and removing the plastic part of the fridge door.

If you just want one corny, you'll probably still have to get rid of the plastic on the inside door, or at least the support.

phoenixs4r said:
I have the Dar482bls. It's 4.4 CF as well, not quite sure if the same exact dimensions tho.

I was able shove 2 pin locks in it after shaving the self supports on the sides down and removing the plastic part of the fridge door.

If you just want one corny, you'll probably still have to get rid of the plastic on the inside door, or at least the support.

I imagine I'll probably have to remove the inside door shelves and replace with sheet of plastic or maybe a whiteboard...even for one corney.

I think the pin lock kegs are shorter and slightly larger in diameter than ball lock kegs.

$162 for a new fridge isn't too bad -- just want to make it will work.

Thanks for the feedback.

The Frigidaire 4.4 from Lowe's is $179 and you should be able to find a 10% off coupon (mover's pack at the post office).

Fits 2 ball locks with 5lb co2 tank on the back shelf.

Same price pretty much...I would go with whatever looks easier when you look through others' builds.

I imagine I'll probably have to remove the inside door shelves and replace with sheet of plastic or maybe a whiteboard...even for one corney.

I think the pin lock kegs are shorter and slightly larger in diameter than ball lock kegs.

$162 for a new fridge isn't too bad -- just want to make it will work.

Thanks for the feedback.

The ball locks are about an inch skinnier. I have a set of both. The pinlocks are snug, the ball locks are....less snug. No room for my 20LBS co2 bottle unless I take out a corny tho :(

I have this fridge but in it's "chill 'n tap" format so it comes with a tower. I could easily fit two Pepsi kegs in there (the taller of the two styles) side by side, but I'd like to be able to fit two of the shorter wider Coke kegs (more available here).

How did you shake down the supports on the sides? Did you just need to shave down the ones at the bottom? On my fridge they're to support a 1/4 barrel keg I think, but I have no use for them.

If there's some easy and safe way to grind those down I'd love to hear ideas, as the supports are the only things in the way of two Coke kegs fitting for me at least.

BrewThruYou said:
The Frigidaire 4.4 from Lowe's is $179 and you should be able to find a 10% off coupon (mover's pack at the post office).

Same price pretty much...I would go with whatever looks easier when you look through others' builds.

Good to know. I'll check out builds using this one-- definitely would like to with the easier one.

Thanks.

Psych said:
I have this fridge but in it's "chill 'n tap" format so it comes with a tower. I could easily fit two Pepsi kegs in there (the taller of the two styles) side by side, but I'd like to be able to fit two of the shorter wider Coke kegs (more available here).

How did you shake down the supports on the sides? Did you just need to shave down the ones at the bottom? On my fridge they're to support a 1/4 barrel keg I think, but I have no use for them.

If there's some easy and safe way to grind those down I'd love to hear ideas, as the supports are the only things in the way of two Coke kegs fitting for me at least.

I used a box cutter. Slowly and with very light pressure, score the plastic in a straight line. Do that 3 times then apply more pressure and cut through the plastic. The insulation comes right off with it.

You can use a grinder arbutus that's too much dust

This is what I cut.

ForumRunner_20111024_172335.jpg

Oh right on, thanks for the pic! Yeah those are the supports I want to nix for sure.

Box cutter works good, just go slow. Multiple slow, low pressure scores work the same as 1, high pressure score except you don't run the risk of shoving the blade into your knee on accident, lol.

BrewThruYou said:

I was on the Lowes site and saw a fridgidaire 4.4-- but I think it also had a freezer compartment.
They might not carry the one u are r referring to anymore.

Found a Sanyo 4912 locally for $200 --used.

Tough decision when I can buy a new fridgidaire or Danby for less than 200.

Although the Sanyo is probably the easiest to modify.

Ouch. Craigslist man. Or garage sales. I got mine for 20 bucks. I know why tho, the previous owner let some milk spill and it curdled and smelled like ****. Found that out when taking apart the door to fit tthe 2 kegs. Blek

phoenixs4r said:
Ouch. Craigslist man. Or garage sales. I got mine for 20 bucks. I know why tho, the previous owner let some milk spill and it curdled and smelled like ****. Found that out when taking apart the door to fit tthe 2 kegs. Blek

Believe it or not -- it is on Craigslist.
Yea-- garage sales r a good place too.

That sucks. There are a few chest freezers around here for under 100 bucks and I'm too cheap to spend that money even tho I'm trying to extend my kegging capabilities.

Found the Sanyo 4912 for $150 on Craigslist -- picking it up this morning.

Gotta save up for a 2 tap tower now. Santa might bring me one if I am lucky.

I have a 440BL that I converted a couple weeks ago. I have two of the ball lock strap style kegs in it. 5 lb CO2 tank and regulator on the hump plus a fan rigged up in a project box to push air into the tower. So far so good. A bit tight so I can see how the pin locks would be tighter still.

Back